new tank whats should I put in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huntedone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a tank about 125L. its been up and running for about 10 days now. I have one blue lobster thats about 2.5inches and was wondering what kinda fish i can put in tank with him. Also what would be the best way to airrate my tank. TheFluval 205 Canister Filter is what i use to filter my tank. I keep the temp around 70-71. I have i peice of drift wood that supper(blue lobsters name) has been living under. also have a little ortement aswell. Its been years since i have had a tank. Im looking for some ideas for fish and decorations. I will upload some pics as soon as i can.:fish2:
Thank You and I look forward to reading the comments

Huntedone

Have you cycled your tank yet

If not I suggest you do a bit of reading on the fish in cycle to be familiar with what is going on in your tank. Also if you don`t have one invest in a good liquid test kit. There are some great articles in the articles section here that may help you out with the cycle and set up aspect.

I do not know much about blue lobsters but I am pretty sure you may be stuck with a species only tank. I think they are very aggressive and will go after whatever they can catch. Though I`ve also heard that if bred in captivity they are more peaceful.. again I`m not sure the truth in this but general info I`ve read seems to peg them as a poor tank mate for almost anything.

They also like cooler waters which limits you for a lot of fish options.

hopefully someone with a bit more experience pops on here. I mostly wanted to point out the info about cycling in case you aren`t familiar.

sorry for the poor punctuation, by keyboard has gone wonky.

I have cycled my tank and its been a few days now that everything is staying stable. I have read up on blue lobsters and I am getting mixed reviews on having fish with him. If they are fast swimmers they should be fine. but others say they will eat them if caught. So i guess i need to read up on them some more and make a choice.

Did you do fish in or fishless? If you did fish in your cycle is only established well enough to handle the bioload of your lobster as well and you will probably experience a spike in levels during additions to your tank and will need to to water changes as needed to fix that.

If you used ammonia and dosed up to about 3-4ppm then your bacteria are probably well enough established to handle a full stock but yea.. I'm not sure what it's going to be. That temp range really doesn't leave many options.. what ever you choose I would have a back up plan in case it doesn't work out.

Like bud said though, that's really short time for a cycle. Cycles generally take between 6-8 weeks. Did you just set it up and let it run?? This isn't cycling. Or did you add some seeded media to speed it up?

I too know very little about lobsters except for their liking cool to cold water depending on species. How big is it? And is it a night hunter like I suspect? Off the top of my head the only fish that I can think of that is small, fast, stays at the upper strata of the water column, and prefers cooler water are white cloud mountian minnows. Usually just sold as white clouds. You could try just adding 2 little fish and see how they fair for a couple weeks. If the lobster is well fed you might be okay with some little fast fish, just stay away from fish that like using the lower water areas, stay with with surface swimmers, or fish that like to swim close to the surface.

The lobster in question I believe is a cobalt lobster. It can actually thrive in warmer temperatures. (Up to 85 degrees) They will generally be peaceful to other fish in the tank, just avoid small, slow-moving fish. I actually looked into getting one for my 30, but they were too expensive for me.

I did fishless and it took a just over 4 weeks with the addition of some chemicals and some speical media stuff. I have only had the lobster in for about ten days in the tank.

OK that's great!

For fish to go with him, I think Zebra Danios would be perfect. They are not that small and they are super fast so they probably will not end up being eaten by the lobster.

Well I don't know how many U.S. gallons that is but if its big enough I think Rams would be fast enough to get away.

I used a conversion calculator to find out that the tank is about 33 US gallons. 2 German Blue Rams or Bolivian Rams would look quite nice in there.

bud29 said:
I used a conversion calculator to find out that the tank is about 33 US gallons. 2 German Blue Rams or Bolivian Rams would look quite nice in there.

I agree they would have plenty of room too.

Back
Top Bottom