New Tank with Stringy White stuff Growing...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dechlor is all you need IMO. I would skip the safestart and the clarifier. The water will clear just fine as the tank matures and cycles.

I agree with fort, back off on the chemicals or your water chemistry is going to be see-sawing all over the place.

Like fort said, siphoning won't hurt a thing. It will only be removing the gunk you scrape off and some water. As long as you still have water running through the filter, you won't effect that. The filter is where most of your bacteria will be growing.

I have figured it out!! Since siphoning some water out didn't help at all, I decided to just take that one rock out on Saturday. After letting it dry out I noticed the same stringy stuff sticking off of it (a lot of it). Needless to say I didn't put it back in and my water is now crystal clear!

I returned it to Petsmart and got my money back! Out of curiosity I went and looked at some of the other ornaments while I was there, and just about all of them had the same stuff on it. So now I have learned to thoroughly look at any ornament before I buy it!

Silly goose.

You also need to make sure that you properly prepare anything, BEFORE you put it in your tank! I figured that you already had.

Now I'm sure that it was hair algae. Hair algae can be whitish/gray in color. It's the only thing that I know of that can survive drying out like that and still survive to infest a tank. Bacteria wouldn't normally have remained whole on the rock. It would have crumbled up and fallen off.

But that's awesome. I'm glad that you found the cure.

Back
Top Bottom