New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lclark88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey I'm starting a tank (first one) and I wanted to know what other fish would go well with angelfish.
My tank is 26 g.
Thanks in advance.

Tetras, cories, guppies, mollies, platys, dwarf SA cichlids, gouramis, shrimp, rasboras. Just to name a few. Research is key here. I'm sure you'll find something compatible.

Well I read somewhere that angelfish need 10 gallons for them. I hope it's not too small. I'm worried about overcrowding that tank.

26 gallon is ok for a single angelfish - it will be your centerpiece fish.

i wouldn't recommend any other cichlids, dwarf or otherwise.
Add a small school of 6 tetras, and 4 corydoras for cleanup.

Is it a 26 tall or long? Because angelfish need space to swim up and down. And yes I second having a single angelfish as a centerpiece and some other smaller fish in schools.

The tank is tall. I'm happy the guy at the store at least had that right. He said I would be able to fit four in the tank. I'm just happy that I researched more before I bought that many. Thank you so much for everyone's advice. Would five or four swordtails be good to put in the tank?

The tank is tall. I'm happy the guy at the store at least had that right. He said I would be able to fit four in the tank. I'm just happy that I researched more before I bought that many. Thank you so much for everyone's advice. Would five or four swordtails be good to put in the tank?

(y)(y) ooooo, swordtails !!!
yes, they are a great combo with angelfish!
They also add lots of colour to your tank :)

swordtails like to be in groups and with females.
So 2 male, 3 female.

Now just add some bottom feeders, and you are set:cool:

Don't forget to cycle the tank! You can do it with fish, but it's easier on you and them to cycle it first, IMO. Read the link in my signature that says "new empty tank" and it'll get you started. Good luck!

So I bought some like feeder fish today the lady at the store said I should to make sure the tank is good. How long does a cycle take? And I was just looking in my tank and found a tiny snail. I don't know if I should be concerned, the fish have been in there for like 2 hours and the only other living thing in there is a plant which I put in a few days ago. Should I take the snail out a make sure there aren't any others?

So I bought some like feeder fish today the lady at the store said I should to make sure the tank is good. How long does a cycle take? And I was just looking in my tank and found a tiny snail. I don't know if I should be concerned, the fish have been in there for like 2 hours and the only other living thing in there is a plant which I put in a few days ago. Should I take the snail out a make sure there aren't any others?

What do you mean when you say "to make sure the tank is good?" To test to see if fish can live in it or to cycle it? If to test to make sure it's liveable you could simply buy an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. To start a cycle...return the fish! Fish-in cycling can be done, but you could be risking the lives of your fish...JMO though.

I did an ammonia test and a nitrite test they both came out fine. Thats why went to buy the fish today.

Also what should I do about the snail. I didn't put him in my tank knowingly.

I did an ammonia test and a nitrite test they both came out fine. Thats why went to buy the fish today.

Oh okay...

Also what should I do about the snail. I didn't put him in my tank knowingly.

You can put a piece of vegetable in a tank in a jar or something tonight, and then in the morning the snail(s) should be there, and you can just scoop the jar out and discard the vegetable.

I sincerely apologize if you've already got the information...I just want to make sure we're all on the same page on what "cycling" a tank involves. In many pet stores, their idea of it is to let it simply run empty for a few days. In reality it involves colonizing beneficial bacteria to keep your tank safe for fish.

The reason I ask the question is because of the mention of feeder fish...that's an old-school method of sacrificing a few "hardy" fish to cycle your tank...and it's not something anyone should do, or advise to others. The other fact is that an uncycled tank will also show safe levels initially, simply because there isn't any ammonia or nitrIte building in the water by it being empty.

Again, I apologize if you've already got the information...just check out these quick write ups about cycling to make sure we're all on the same page :) Good luck!

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Nitrogen_Cycle.html#products
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Well I will be taking those fish back tomorrow. You are all so helpful. :)

Back
Top Bottom