new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscar26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hiya im newish to fish keeping , and im about to set up my second tank , can i use my outher tank to speed up my new tanks cycle

I have done many tank transfers and if the old water from your old tank fills the new tank up by a third you will have no problems filling the rest with normal tap water. Many of times I have done this with no chemicals at all and sometimes with even less water from the old tank. Another good way to help is by not cleaning your filter just take it from your old straight to your new :)

...joey... said:
I have done many tank transfers and if the old water from your old tank fills the new tank up by a third you will have no problems filling the rest with normal tap water. Many of times I have done this with no chemicals at all and sometimes with even less water from the old tank. Another good way to help is by not cleaning your filter just take it from your old straight to your new :)

There is very little beneficial bacteria in the water, much better to seed with used filter media, decorations and substrate .

Oscar26 said:
hiya im newish to fish keeping , and im about to set up my second tank , can i use my outher tank to speed up my new tanks cycle

You could run both filters on the old tank for a while to allow the bacteria to breed on the new filter, or you could take some of the old media from the old filter and put it into your new filter. Transferring water is pretty much pointless.

Back
Top Bottom