New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guinness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi

I'm thinking of buying a new tank. I want a 5 foot one. My question is can anyone recommend a good quality tank that I should consider as my next purchase?

Thanks.

Buy the tank and build your own stand! Those are my plans for my next big tank.:)

I would live too but unfortunately I'm not very handy when it comes to making things. It would just end in disaster Lol. I can see it now. Tank set up all looking nice fish having a blast in there new home then bang crash, broken glass water and fish flapping all over the floor. And one angry mad as hell partner smacking me round the head telling me I'm an idiot. I can't be doing with that!

I'm not familiar with specific brands but craigslist is the best place to start. If money is no issue and/or you don't see anything good on CL, check all your LFS

cerulean_blue said:
I'm not familiar with specific brands but craigslist is the best place to start. If money is no issue and/or you don't see anything good on CL, check all your LFS

Hi. I want a brand new tank. The 4 foot one I have now was second hand, it's a jewel rio 300 but it's not the best. The build quality let's it down and the light unit is an absolute waste of time. So time for a new one. Thought I would treat myself to a brand new one and sell my old one to recoup some money.
I have never heard of Craig's list, I live in England. Is Craig List worldwide or is it just an american thing?

I'm in England too and I think Craigslist is just in the US.
I recently bought a tank from a company called All Pond Solutions through eBay. TGIF tank itself is great with curved glass and it came with T5 lighting.
The cabinet isn't the best but it does the job. Mine is 330L but I think they do a 500L version. Here's a pic of mine:

Attachments

• image-3378771382.jpg
    image-3378771382.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 112
I think new tanks are expensive, if you dont mind getting a second hand its good, just make sure its not leaking and will be the size you want.
My 47 gallon was 80 pounds used, my 15 gallon was 85 new...
But i had to take the old silicon and put a new one, just make sure its not leaking though.

Snowfire said:
I recently bought a tank from a company called All Pond Solutions through eBay. TGIF tank itself is great with curved glass and it came with T5 lighting.
The cabinet isn't the best but it does the job. Mine is 330L but I think they do a 500L version. Here's a pic of mine:

Nice looking tank, I will be having a look on the website for a 5 ft one. Looks nice.

torres said:
I think new tanks are expensive, if you dont mind getting a second hand its good, just make sure its not leaking and will be the size you want.
My 47 gallon was 80 pounds used, my 15 gallon was 85 new...
But i had to take the old silicon and put a new one, just make sure its not leaking though.

I bought the jewel rio second hand for £300 my new betta premier lifespace cost me £230 brand new.

If I find a really nice tank sexing hand I wouldn't turn it down. At least if you buy new you know what your getting.

haha ok

i like new stuff too but if i like the tank and its working fine doesnt matter

I just like the warranty you get with buying new. I had a 72g bowfront crack randomly at 330am 3 days after I tore a tendon in my foot. Fun night! Bought it off kijiji so nothing I could do. Was $100 with a light and canopy. Sexing hand lol

I do like the guarantee you get from buying new, it's piece of mind for me. Worth the extra money.

Reading this back to myself now to make sure no text errors lol.

Guinness said:
Hi

I'm thinking of buying a new tank. I want a 5 foot one. My question is can anyone recommend a good quality tank that I should consider as my next purchase?

Thanks.

Petsmart has a NICE 150 gal and stand for around 600

Snowfire said:

I have had a look on the website, they look really good and at a good price too. Unfortunately they don't do the colour I want. :-(

I need beach or light oak.

Guinness said:
Hi. I want a brand new tank. The 4 foot one I have now was second hand, it's a jewel rio 300 but it's not the best. The build quality let's it down and the light unit is an absolute waste of time. So time for a new one. Thought I would treat myself to a brand new one and sell my old one to recoup some money.
I have never heard of Craig's list, I live in England. Is Craig List worldwide or is it just an american thing?

Hi guinness I live in London and I believe the English version of Craigslist is Gumtree. I would definitely recommend Jewel as a brand. Their tanks are great and you can see the quality. They are pricey but I believe they are a top brand. Where do you live ? Look online for your nearest maidenhead aquatics. They usually have a nice selection of large tanks and cabinet deals.

Guinness said:
An I didn't think of them I will pop In to our local one and check out what they have.

Thanks for that.

I would avoid Petsmart stands for large tanks. Most are made out of particle board which I do not trust, plus it's low quality stuff. If it gets wet the paint will bubble. The one being referred could be different though, check if it is solid wood.

cerulean_blue said:
I would avoid Petsmart stands for large tanks. Most are made out of particle board which I do not trust, plus it's low quality stuff. If it gets wet the paint will bubble. The one being referred could be different though, check if it is solid wood.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm off for a road trip tomorrow. See how many aquatic shops we can get to in one day lol. See what I can find.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom