New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gafights

Aquarium Advice Activist
New to the board. Here goes.

I am currently building a new aquarium in my home. Measurements will 96X48X36 Rounded ends. Apprx 650 gal Acrylic. This aquarium is custom and I am looking to house a shark. I am not afraid of honest answers so dont hold back . The company has been paid but I still have the opprotunity to go bigger if I need to.

Questions

Looking to house one swimming shark, Leapoard, Smoothhound, Bonnetthead, or Sharp nose. Which is good for this size if any. I will be purchasing a male shark (I have researched that they are smaller?)

How much live rock do I need. I know I wont need much.

What tank cleaners can be added. Crab, starfish, shrimp ect.

What tank mates can live with a shark to add a little flavor to the tank.

What corals can be added if any.

gafights said:
New to the board. Here goes.

I am currently building a new aquarium in my home. Measurements will 96X48X36 Rounded ends. Apprx 650 gal Acrylic. This aquarium is custom and I am looking to house a shark. I am not afraid of honest answers so dont hold back . The company has been paid but I still have the opprotunity to go bigger if I need to.

Questions

Looking to house one swimming shark, Leapoard, Smoothhound, Bonnetthead, or Sharp nose. Which is good for this size if any. I will be purchasing a male shark (I have researched that they are smaller?)

How much live rock do I need. I know I wont need much.

What tank cleaners can be added. Crab, starfish, shrimp ect.

What tank mates can live with a shark to add a little flavor to the tank.

What corals can be added if any.

How much past experience in salt water do you have ?? sounds like a awesome tank

welcome and good choice on a forum to pick loll....well what shark are you getting for sure that will let you know the rest of your questions .....and you'll still need rock but placed in the middle so shark can swim if he does swim in circles etc...as some sharks sit on the bottom ....also soft sand on bottom of tank so it won't damage the sharks sensitive belly

I have no experience in saltwater but tons in freshwater. I have had huge tanks with very large freshwater fish. Pacu snakehead oscars wolf fish ect. I have hired a friend of mine for all the maintence that has 25 yrs experience in aquaria. Mainly saltwater and does own sharks. H is the one who convinced me to go to saltwater. He tells me that it is actually less maintence once it is up and running. I have experience in exotic reptiles as well. Not that this is the same thing but it looks as if the main problem with sharks size and being able give them adequate room. This happens to be the same with reptiles that I have owned such as a 22 ft reticulated python Cayman and seven ft lizards and so on.

gafights said:
I have no experience in saltwater but tons in freshwater. I have had huge tanks with very large freshwater fish. Pacu snakehead oscars wolf fish ect. I have hired a friend of mine for all the maintence that has 25 yrs experience in aquaria. Mainly saltwater and does own sharks. H is the one who convinced me to go to saltwater. He tells me that it is actually less maintence once it is up and running. I have experience in exotic reptiles as well. Not that this is the same thing but it looks as if the main problem with sharks size and being able give them adequate room. This happens to be the same with reptiles that I have owned such as a 22 ft reticulated python Cayman and seven ft lizards and so on.

U had a 22 ft reticulated?! That's crazy I'd love to see some pics lol sounds like money anit a issue so I'd say try to go bigger with the tank the bigger the happier the shark will be

Patrick93 said:
U had a 22 ft reticulated?! That's crazy I'd love to see some pics lol sounds like money anit a issue so I'd say try to go bigger with the tank the bigger the happier the shark will be

Yeah. Amongst others. I don't have digital photos because it was about 13 -14 years ago. So most of my pics are old school but I will try to scan some. 16 ft Burmese python 12 albino Burmese python 5 ft water monitor and Nile monitor and crocodile monitor. Some other things that were smaller put still decent size. Very easy to care for snakes as long as u have the room.

gafights said:
Yeah. Amongst others. I don't have digital photos because it was about 13 -14 years ago. So most of my pics are old school but I will try to scan some. 16 ft Burmese python 12 albino Burmese python 5 ft water monitor and Nile monitor and crocodile monitor. Some other things that were smaller put still decent size. Very easy to care for snakes as long as u have the room.

I don't know how much Niger I can go mainly because of the weight. I am putting it on the second floor so my biggest concern is how much floor reinforcement I will need to add or if I can add more. A friend I have is an engineer and he told me that where I plan on putting is fine but anymore weight could be a problem.

No way can you have a free swimming shark in that tank for very long, if at all. Even with rounded corners, it will bounce off of the walls and damage itself. You need something a little bigger. Perhaps 6500 gallons.

SWSCJ said:
Too small. Mr X is right on with the size. We are designing our next tank now, 1800 gallons+, and I wouldn't house it.

I may just move to the bottom floor. What about plywood tanks. I have seen a few articles and videos on the. And they are pretty impressive when the right person builds them. Does anyone know of anyone that has experience with these or any history of problems. Price is not really an issue and I am willing to make the arrangements needed in order complete this project. I just want something when someone sees it there mouths drop open I think it will take a swimming shark to do it. Most of the large tanks I see on line in homes are wood. Not sure how they do but they look nice when finished.

There are plenty of fish, inverts, and corals out there with "wow" factor. A nicely stocked reef packed with the most colorful Australian corals is more beautiful and interesting than a shark swimming in circles over and over and over.
My opinion would be to stick with the original plan and make it an awesome reef.

mr_X said:
No way can you have a free swimming shark in that tank for very long, if at all. Even with rounded corners, it will bounce off of the walls and damage itself. You need something a little bigger. Perhaps 6500 gallons.

I agree. My kids orthodontist has a 2000g eliptical tank in their office. They had a 3+ foot black-tip in there and all he did was swim in a right-handed circle. It got to a point where his left eye was all messed up from rubbing on the acrylic and they got rid of him. I think they donated him to Mote Marine Laboratories, which is local. They had him for a couple of years, and as impressive as it was to see that shark, being a hobbyist, I couldn't help but feel bad for it. Also have a Sohal , Clown and Achilles tang ( which are awesome btw) and some other fish, but the shark did nothing but circles.
IMO a thriving reef will give you years of wonder and amazement, whereas you watch the shark for about 10 minutes, and you've seen it all.
Good advice X.

I don't think any of those sharks can be kept in an 8ft tank.... If you could make an 18ft tank (no corners) I think they would work.

If you ever heard about tanked and the controversy of how they over-stock tanks they insisted a customer get an 18ft tank for a small black tip b/c his original plan was not long enough.

I do not mean to sound like a jerk a top/large ocean predator needs a huge tank.

As for fish with them I would say ones that have defenses and are very fast, such as:

Large tangs or some poisonous fish like fox face.

I think u guys sound like you know what your talking about. I am really going to have to rethink what to do here. We will see what options I come up with. Thanks for the help I will definately take your advice. Great forum. Ps. After scavaging through the Internet I noticed this question with sharks asked a lot. And most of the time people get trashed like they are criminals when they asked Thanks for being constructive and polite.

Back
Top Bottom