New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just started a fishless cycle in a new 50g freshwater tank. Added pure ammonia to 4 ppm as recommended by eco23's instructions. How long does it normally take for nh3 to start to drop? My water is a bit cloudy on 2nd day but no nh3 change.

Also, should I get some gravel from someone else? If so, how much? I really don't wanna risk getting someone else's bad stuff unless it really shortens the cycle time.

If you can get some filter material from someone who has a cycled tank that will help. This is where a lot of the BB(beneficial bacteria) resides. When I did my first fishless cycle on a 33g tank it took like a few days (3-4) for the levels to start dropping but to fully cycle the tank it was like 6 weeks. That was from scratch though with no seeding material. It may seem like a long time to wait to put fish in but makes the tank work much better. You will see that when you dose your tank back up that after a bit your dosing will get more frequent. Then one night you will dose your tank and the next day it will be 0. I was getting pretty discouraged that it was never going to happen and then BAM! one day it was done. It was pretty satisfying after being so patient and the tank is still working great today. With using seeding material it took 2.5 weeks to cycle my 75g tank so if you can get something to seed with it will be much quicker and easier.

So just get a used filter and drop it in the tank? Will the bacteria move over to my filter? If not, what happens when I throw that filter away?

What about using gravel?

Cycled filter media is the best. Add it directly to your current filter and have some patience. It can take 2-4wks to see initial ammonia drops without any cycled media when doing a cycle from scratch.

A cycle takes about one month on average. If you just started the cycle, lets say 3 days ago, it will take a week or so to see an ammonia drop. If you have another cycled tank, take some filter media like sponge, and put it in your tank. You will need to keep dosing ammonia, but they cycle will be a lot shorter.

Gravel will help, it's better than nothing, but filter media is best.

So just get a used filter and drop it in the tank? Will the bacteria move over to my filter? If not, what happens when I throw that filter away?

You don't need a whole filter just the media that is inside the filter. If you have friends that have tanks that you know are cycled or have been established for a while or maybe even at the local fish store (lfs). They may be able to hook you up with some of the filtration media that they use in their filter(s). Take that and put it inside your filter where your filter media is and it will seed your filter. If that's not a possibility you will just have to be patient and wait it out.

Well my lfs tried to sell me bacteria in a bottle (cycle). I did talk them into giving me some gravel though

My daughter has a betta in a small 1 or 2 gal bowl. Not filtered. Would something out of her tank help? Not sure how much can grow in a 1 fish tank

My daughter has a betta in a small 1 or 2 gal bowl. Not filtered. Would something out of her tank help? Not sure how much can grow in a 1 fish tank

I honestly would leave the betta be. Your tank will still cycle with no seeded media to jumpstart it.

:agree: gravel will be good enough. the betta tank has a filter on it right? if it does, you can take the filter media from the betta tank, and put it in the cycling tank. it should help a bit

Back
Top Bottom