new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jason5522

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a ten gallon tank. How do you cycle it??? I bought the MICROBE-LIFT Aquarium Cycling & Water Conditioning Kit. Does anyone have experience with this on how well this works, also, I have one goldfish to cycle the tank. I'm new to this, please educate me on this, don't send me links, tell me here.

I wouldn't cycle the tank with something that you don't plan on keeping. Fishless cycling is a much more efficient and quick method to cycling a tank. Otherwise with a fish in cycle you will first need to look at getting a test kit, I would suggest an API master freshwater test kit.

After that test the ammonia / nitrite level in the tank every other day or so and do 50% water changes based on the amount of ammonia / nitrite is in the tank, try to keep the levels lower than .25 ppm on either of those. The cycle will be finished when you constantly get a reading of 0 on both Ammonia / nitrite. Keeping an eye on the nitrate level will also help keep tabs on how your cycle is doing.

This is a quick and dirty version of the steps for doing a cycle. I know you didn't want links but here is one that I would highly recommend reading.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

I am using the cycling kit, will that Leo and can I start adding fish?

It's possible but you really need a kit to be able to test the water to know for sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom