New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitchd90

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys this is my first post and im new to aquarium keeping. Ive bought a 23L fluval edge tank and have cycled the tank for 4 weeks and added fish as I was told to. Ive got 2 guppies and 2 platys in my tank now. The fish have been in for 5 weeks now but my ammonia isnt droping and have not see any nitrite or nitrate. Should I be concerned or is this normal for a new tank to take this long to cycle?

You should probably do 3 50% water changes per week till your tank is fully cycled. You need to have zero ammonia and zero nitrite. If you can get some filter media from an established tank and throw it in yours (filter) that will really speed the process up.

WC for avoiding fishs to die from ammonia poisoning.

Filter media from a friend established tank will help a LOT.

Remember to never rinse filter media (bio part) directly under the tank, use old tank water for cleaning.

Thanks for the help. Ive been doing water changes every 4-5 days but ill ask around and see if I can get my hands on some filter media.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the help. Ive been doing water changes every 4-5 days but ill ask around and see if I can get my hands on some filter media.

Keep up with WC, 30%WC each 2-3 days are required while fishin cycling to get ammonia in proper ranges.

What's your PH ? Total ammonia is more toxic under high PH.

Hey guys this is my first post and im new to aquarium keeping. Ive bought a 23L fluval edge tank and have cycled the tank for 4 weeks and added fish as I was told to. Ive got 2 guppies and 2 platys in my tank now. The fish have been in for 5 weeks now but my ammonia isnt droping and have not see any nitrite or nitrate. Should I be concerned or is this normal for a new tank to take this long to cycle?

So this is a 5 maybe 6 gallon tank?? In my opinion platys are not suitable at all. They have a large bioload and you may struggle to control it. Again in my opinion this tank is only suitable for a single betta or shrimp

Hi again, thanks for the advice before. The tank is now cycled and him happy to say that there has been no ammonia or nitrite for over a week now. Fish are all doing well too.

Back
Top Bottom