New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DomDaBomb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello so I am getting a 55 gallon tank... I don't know whether to do saltwater or freshwater I'm on a $500 budget which should I get I will have a stand and a tank and that's it and where the 500 comes in place

Definitely fw. I'm probably near the 2k mark on my 40 breeder, maybe more lol!

Go for freshwater you don't have to spend more money and even the maintenance will be less
Again freshwater is no less then saltwater tank you can get plants carpeting and some selective fish will make your tank look wonderful

I have been doing for 3 years

What have you done in those three years?
(Just a question, not being mean!)

I really want a reef tank too, my LFS suggested freshwater first.......
12years ago.

I've probably spent an equivalent of $500 on books associated with marine tanks. Still no marine tank. (Well, I have it but it's full of freshwater fish)

If you're confident you know your water, crack on..... But it's a big mistake if it goes wrong! Most marine fish are 5-10 times the cost of a freshwater equivalent.
Basic shoaling fish tetra £1, green chromis £5-6

Salt bucket £50-60 (biggest size) depends but 2-3 times a year on this.

Refractometer £20+
Skimmer ------£100-£500 (for the tank size)
Live rock. £6-10 per kilo
Sand.......
RO water (maybe you have one? £50-£150) or purchase water? Probably not cost effective.
Water containers.........
Test kits.
That's your budget gone.........
Not sure what fish cost wherever you live but £30-£80 is not obscene for a marine fish.

Its saltwater?

Yes sorry it is sw! The lighting and filtration probably cost $7-800. Then all my fish, coral and rocks is probably about $1000-1200. Add in salt costs and additives and your looking at like $30-40 a month in upkeep. And I don't even have a big tank!

Back
Top Bottom