New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lili

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I’ve had a 10 gallon with a betta but I finally got a 29 gallon that is in the process of bieng cycled, I seeded it from my 10 gallon so hopefully that will help and it already has some anacharis Anubis java fern and a moss stick in it. I have a biowheel penguin 125 filter and the tank is heated at 75 Fahrenheit. It’s showing nitrites and nitrates so shouldn’t be too long now I’m hoping. My ph is 7.2, my water is soft. I’ve got half glo gravel and half sand as the substrate as well as a few decorations. I have 3 platies from a friend that are going in as a rescues(not sick he just doesn’t want them) and I know I want Kuhli Loaches. Since the Kuhli Loaches have to be in groups of 6 I was wondering what else I have room for? I really like glofish and would love to do either the tiger barb versions or the danios or both if possible but I’m assuming both would be too many fish. Any advice is much appreciated.

I personally would not add Tiger Barbs and Zebra Danios, but it could work. If you decide to do both I would do 6 Tiger Barbs and 8 Zebra Danios. The zebras should be too fast for the barbs to bother with. However, I think both fish would be happier if they were the only school in the tank besides the loaches. I would estimate about 10 tiger barbs or 12-14 zebras.

I'm sorry no one responded to your first post. Welcome to the forum.

Hello,
Thank you for replying. I have since changed my mind after hearing some bad things about glofish. I am still doing the Kuhli Loaches but have decided to stick with fish that fit the Kuhli Loach preferences. I’ve added in 3 cherry barbs, I was planning on adding more but have actually read that this could increase aggressiveness? But I’ve also heard they need groups of 6. Currently I have 1 male and 2 female cherry barbs. I’m not sure what else I’ll add just definitely acidic liking fish.

Yeah, I would increase the school to at least 6. As for what to add with them I can't really say, just make sure it's a fish you really like. Silver Hatchets might contrast well with the cherry barbs.

Back
Top Bottom