New to all of this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kyle32

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have always wanted a tank since I was a kid

I had a little 25 gallon and loved watching then all day. Unfortunately the hobby did not last long in my home

Now I'm grown and own my own home and I want a tank again.. I have been considering a oscar.. from what I have read they are great for beginners if you get a big enough tank (hear at least 75 preferably 125)

So the question is.. can my floor support 125 gallon tank? The basement is not a option

the main floor is where I am thinking and floor joists are going in the opposite direction of the way I will be placing the tank it is also right agenst the support wall

I have a older home 1960s the joists sit on cider blocks and are on 15 inch on center

I hope I gave a decent amount of information and appreciate any advice you can give

If you can get to the floor underneath you could add some cross supports. Just to be sure.

Probably okay with the 75G maybe rather add support if it is bigger. Also whether the house seems solid or creaky.

The ideal is your tank across the joists and against the support wall, so you're pretty good. I am also not an engineer ;).

It is so exciting that you are working on making your hobby dream come true.

Oscars are full of personality but you are usually not able to do too much in the way of decorating the tank, because the fish will want it the way he wants it, including rocks and DW. And move it to suit his likes and not yours.

Even tough plants might be destroyed. So if you had a dream of a planted tank and an Oscar, I would say those are opposite hopes.

The link in my signature is the getting started article. It has great information to be able to refer back to and links for additionally related articles as well!

Welcome!!!!! So glad you are here.

Back
Top Bottom