New to aquariums, always liked fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I ordered a API Master Test Kit for freshwater, ive lost 3 fish so far, i know there's probably too high ammonia. If I have time today im going to go get the water tested.

im going to try to, i have no idea where the reciept it, im also ging to try and pick up a new themometer for the other side of my tank

I ordered a API Master Test Kit for freshwater, ive lost 3 fish so far, i know there's probably too high ammonia. If I have time today im going to go get the water tested.

It's most likely is ammonia.
When I started I knew nothing about cycling. So like you I had fish to soon. So I did a fish in cycle, which took much longer than a fishless cycle. I didn't loose any fish, but I had a test kit and I was doing nearly80-90% PWC twice a day for almost 3 months before it was fully cycled. I may have been over cautious but I am a bit OCD and I didn't want to loose any fish.
Now I always cycle first, but it can be done with fish. With an insane amount of hard work and commitment.
Most people don't or can't do twice a day PWC for 75-90 days to safely do a fish-in cycle. I only had 1 tank at the time so I managed it but it nearly killed me, to do 80-90% PWC every 12 hours for that long. And I was doing it with a bucket at the time.
I would highly recommend getting a Water Changer. There are 2 kinds that I know of, one is called a Python. Which other people have had great things to say about it. The other is by Aqueon, which is what I have. I works but the adapter and the valve are made out of plastic and can crack. So you'll need a spare, just in case it blows, they are fairly cheap online.
But if you want the fish to live until you find the receipt or a new home, your stuck with the 12 hour 80-90%. Even more so with Goldfish since they are very dirty, even when they are small. Anything less and they die, as you've already seen.
Good luck and take lots of vitamins, you'll need the extra energy.

ive been slacking slightly on the water changes, i know i just been busy as ****. I am going to just try and start over doing the fishless cycle, i went to my tank today and it looks like another one is hugging the bottom of the tank, i had a friend with some strips at his house and i tested the ammonia, with the strip it looked like it was saying either 0.5 or 1.0 the color was slightly on both sides so lets say .75 for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites were both in parameter, indicating that once again the proper cycle hasnt started.... ugh

ive been slacking slightly on the water changes, i know i just been busy as ****. I am going to just try and start over doing the fishless cycle, i went to my tank today and it looks like another one is hugging the bottom of the tank, i had a friend with some strips at his house and i tested the ammonia, with the strip it looked like it was saying either 0.5 or 1.0 the color was slightly on both sides so lets say .75 for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites were both in parameter, indicating that once again the proper cycle hasnt started.... ugh

:facepalm:PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM TEST STRIPS. The aren't worth, a bad word I can't say here, and will only mess up your cycle with inaccurate information.
Chances are if it read .75ppm your really around 2.0ppm at least. You can't do better, IMO, than the API Freshwater Master kit. I've tried others and their readings were inconsistent. As long as you fallow the directions on how to do each test in the API kit you will know exactly what is going on with your water. Without it, it's a crap shoot with the cycle and the lives of your fish, now and in the future.
I don't want to sound like a harpy, but without the right equipment (which includes the test kit) your handicapping yourself and endangering the fish.,
The reason that the goldfish is lieing on the bottom of the tank, is that his and all the others gills are burned by the ammonia. And I'm sure the levels are toxic by now. Unless your waiting for all the goldfish to die, please do a 90% PWC now and another one in 6 hours and another 6 hours after that. Then start the 80-90% PWC every 12 hours after that. You may be able to save some of them. Dieing from ammonia poisoning is an excruciating way to go. It would be more humane to euthanize them than to let them die from neglect.
But I don't recommend euthanizing fish that can be saved, with a little effort.
In a way your gold fish will help your cycle if you keep them. You won't have to worry about adding any ammonia to feed the cycle. You just need to get rid of the ammonia twice a day. No guess work as to how much ammonia you should add.
Trust me you want to do this the right way. Otherwise you won't fully enjoy the hobby. Once you get the initial hard work out of the way it gets SOOOO much easier. I only do 20-25% PWC twice a week to keep the NitrAte at a safe level. It takes a whopping two hours, max, twice a week to clean 4 tanks. Then once every 6 months or so I have to rinse out my filters too. But I over filter so I rarely need to clean them. An extra filter can cut back on the work, after they are properly cycled.

Now that the hard part is done, I work 4 hours a week. And my family and I get at least 10 times that much enjoyment from them.

I ordered a API Master kit, i just had a friend with some test strips to use just to see whats going on in the tank i have been doing the water changes just not every 12 hours more like every day its not like i have been trying to neglect the fish, i just wont exactly whats going on until i get that kit..

I ordered a API Master kit, i just had a friend with some test strips to use just to see whats going on in the tank i have been doing the water changes just not every 12 hours more like every day its not like i have been trying to neglect the fish, i just wont exactly whats going on until i get that kit..

I didn't mean that you were neglecting them on purpose. I'm sorry if I sounded that way. It's just that when first starting out, some people don't realize that Goldfish put out a lot more waste than the average tropical fish. I have no idea why they do but I know they do. So the ammonia levels will get higher faster, than other fish. So to be on the safe side, until you receive the kit the 12h PWC will get and keep the ammonia down.
Are you using a bucket to do your PWC or do you have a water changer? Take it from someone who's had 5 back surgeries, get a water changer, save your back. Lugging a bucket back and forth draining and refilling the tank can wear out your back, even if the sink is fairly close. I also had to have a hernia surgery, after lugging buckets for the first 5 years of fish keeping.
Again, I apologize if I sounded like I was scolding you for neglecting your fish. I didn't mean it that way.
I hope you get your kit soon.

its cool, i wasnt offended, i didnt buy a whole complete water changer just one of those hand vac pump things since i got a window next to my tank i can drop the water out threw there, i want to get a water hose to help fill it, only thing is the one i got now when i bought it it said "non potable" which means dont drin from this hose so id figure id be hard on the fish too so i been bucketing for now, and yea i agree changing it bucket style sucks:banghead:

its cool, i wasnt offended, i didnt buy a whole complete water changer just one of those hand vac pump things since i got a window next to my tank i can drop the water out threw there, i want to get a water hose to help fill it, only thing is the one i got now when i bought it it said "non potable" which means dont drin from this hose so id figure id be hard on the fish too so i been bucketing for now, and yea i agree changing it bucket style sucks:banghead:

If your tank is high enough you can use the Aqueon with gravity to drain the tank and then attach it to a sink to fill. I have one tank on a tall stand and I use gravity with it and it works fine. It's much slower, so if I'm in a hurry I have the option of using it either way.
I can do a complete cleaning in 30min., including vacuuming under all the decor.
So even on days that I don't have a lot of time, I can still fit a PWC & a good cleaning in, if they need it. They never have to wait. And the absolute best part, NO MORE BUCKETS,EVER!!!:dance:

Between the 5 back surgeries and the 1 BIG front hernia surgery, I don't need to be lifting any buckets anyway.

yea only thing is my sink is a grip away from my tank my window folds down for cleaning so im think of buying a more fish friendly water hose until it gets cold and invest in a aqueon 50 ft water changer/vacuum

yea only thing is my sink is a grip away from my tank my window folds down for cleaning so im think of buying a more fish friendly water hose until it gets cold and invest in a aqueon 50 ft water changer/vacuum

That's what I use it work great, but the Flow Valve is plastic and it cracks easy.
But it will reseal with Super Glue, it just won't take any pressure. So you can't turn the water on and close the valve to carry the hose into the other room. It will blow right off the faucet and water will explode all over the room, a lot of water.
I just have a spare on hand in case it breaks. Murphy's law when I have a spare it works great, but as soon as I only have one, boom, it blows. So I try to keep an extra at all times.
Nothings perfect all the time, it does the job, it just has that 1 flaw.

iheartmyed9 said:
My fish appear to have black spots on thier bodies....any idea what that is?

A picture is always helpful for a more accurate diagnosis/prognosis.
Any chance?

i can get a picture just have to find my camera, my phone has a camera but it dont work atm, its small black spots, when there were no black spots before, just picture someone drawing on a fish with a magic marker, thats what it looked like, i went and bought Seachem Headstart and some API Super Ich Cure, they seem to be much more lively, unfortunately im down to 3 fish but the last three are doing much better :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom