New to cichlids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tdemler68

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just purchased my first 55 gallon aquarium. I am currently cycling and in the mean time I am doing research on the types of cichlids to buy! Any recommendations to the breeds to stick to for a beginner like me? I want very colorful and like the look of electric blue, peacocks, yellow labs etc. any suggestions would be appreciated! IMG_4059.jpg

Livefishdirect.com has a great selection, and was recommended to me by my boss (who gave me my 72 gallon tank). He had cichlids in it before me, and now I'm going for that too!

I hear otopharynx (peacock) are beautiful, as are polits (mbuna)

Part of the reason I commented is that I'm looking for recommendations as well! I'm totally open to suggestions, and can't wait to build this tank out more.

Best of luck to you, OP, as we start this journey together! :)

My flowerhorn is my favorite.. but in my other tank my Electric blue is awesome.. and as he grows his colors get better.. and he's a personable little fish..

I really like the variations of auloncara and hapolochromis. There are very many different types to suit you liking

If doing African cichlids. There are so many options.. Just Google them.. they like rocks with tons of space to take on their own.. South American are a bit different in that they need slightly different water parameters and grow quite large..
Mbuna, they say to put many in to disperse the aggression. I am no expert, but when comes to African, the peacocks are super beautiful and not quite aggressive.. But also get bigger. I have seen people do all make show tanks with them and it is just unreal the colors you get with those fresh water fish..

Back
Top Bottom