New to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So having 3 different Mbuna species would work until I can fill in the gaps?

I've been watching some videos. Most of what i have seen is for Africans, divide your tank in half so 46/2=23. That's on the high-side of how many cichlids can go in my tank. Obviously, this equation is for smaller Africans. Would this be a good guide line for stocking?

Just provide enough hiding places and take it relatively slow. Select fish that are rock dwellers and some that are mid level to upper level swimmers. Each species varies in size and attitude so there is no way to formulate a set stocking limit.

Should I just go with 1 of each species to start? Then add more and gauge the aggression level based on that? I highly doubt my LFS sexes them but if they do, I'll have an easier time. I'll be posting pictures this weekend when I do the tear down and hardscape! Probably wait at least a week to make sure my tank didn't reset on the cycle and hopefully in 2 weeks, I'll have my cichlids in their new home!

I was seeking other advice as well. I went over to cichlid-forums and they said there is no way I can keep any Africans in a 46 BF. They said maybe YL but that's it. I don't know if they're being super picky or if that's the truth.

A typical 46 bowfront is a 36"x15"(at the widest point). So stocking for cichlids will be closer to what you do in a 30g tank.

Personally, especially if you don't have a lot of experience with African cichlids, I would not try it in a tank that size.

Yellow labs might be OK if they are really yellow labs but it is pretty common to get hybrid mbuna or the wrong fish altogether when buying from petsmart.

My advice with mbuna is get either 1 fish or a big group. 3-4 mbuna often turns into 1 mbuna. Especially in a small tank like that.

I have kept a colony of p. saulosi in a 46 bowfront but m/f ratios had to be closely monitored.

Could I get 1 Mbuna as the main attraction so to speak and bunch of smaller shell dwellers? Those seem to have really nice colors and I heard are pretty awesome fish to watch and easy to care for.

Edit - My LFS just messaged me about getting YL in. I'm not going to buy from a chain store. It's fine for Tetras and Bettas but not so much for cichlids.

Could I get 1 Mbuna as the main attraction so to speak and bunch of smaller shell dwellers? Those seem to have really nice colors and I heard are pretty awesome fish to watch and easy to care for.

It probably depends on what shell dweller specifically.

A yellow lab with some brevis might work. You would definitely have to keep an eye on it.

So it's better to go with either the big Africans together, the medium sized Africans, or the shell dwellers. That way to not to mix things up. Didn't think cichlids were going to be this stressful -.-

As a separate idea, have you looked at hard water new world cichlids?

A pair of Herotilapia multispinosa(Rainbow cichlids) could be interesting. It would also be easier to mix them with non-cichlid tank mates.

Those do look nice. I'll probably have to sit down and look at the hard water NW. If there are that many out there. If you could throw a few more my way, I'll definitely give them some consideration. The shell dwellers look pretty cool though.

Looks like Firemouths and Black Convicts could also live pretty good in the tank size.

Most of the CA cichlids come from harder waters.

Convicts, rainbows, HRPs, sajica, cutteri, etc. Almost any of the Thorichthys species including firemouths.

In a tank that size you could do a pair of any one of those.

I would hate to have two fish that tank though. I like quantity.

A pair typically means a male and a female. Personally, I would do a single pair in a 36" tank. Most of those cichlids are aggressive towards other, similar, cichlids when they spawn. Convicts are pretty aggressive to everything when they spawn.

In a slightly larger tank, I would avoid pairs and have a mix of individuals instead.

I would hate to have two fish that tank though. I like quantity.

Excluding the convicts, most of those fish could be kept with other non-cichlid fish. They would just have to be big enough not to be eaten. Large bodies tetras for example. Loaches, catfish, etc.

Did someone say thory?? Great fish imo
aa3ec1fe454248fcb3027729927af5b9.jpg

I have always been attracted to the Firemouths. They're really pretty and seem to be alert to their owners presence.

That fire is incredible. What kind is that?

Back
Top Bottom