New to fish keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xoTyanna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

I recently had to take 4 male guppies from a friend who couldn't take on anymore fry! I bought a 3 gallon tank with heater, filter, and bubbler. I added gravel and some artificial plants. Unfortunately I didn't cycle the tank fish less because of last minute things but I did add conditioner to my water. Will my fish be okay? I also poured a decent amount of my friends tank water into my tank.

Also, will my males get lonely or aggressive due to no females? I do not want babies currently so I do not really want to add females.

Lastly, can I have advice on how to feed them veggies and what sorts of veggies?

Thanks!

4 guppies in a 3 gal is going to be problematic, IMO. They can grow up to 2" and are messy (e.g. heavy bioload) so I would get a larger tank if you could. You'll definitely need to get a good liquid test kit (API Master) and test the water daily and do water changes based on the test results. Until then I would do a 30-50% water change per day and don't overfeed. Fish food should be the staple as it has most of the nutrients the fish need but once or twice a week it's OK to give them a treat such a veggies or frozen food. Lettuce, cucumber, de-shelled frozen peas cooked in the microwave are some examples. In addition to the link above, this guide has some general info as well: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

4 guppies in a 3 gal is going to be problematic, IMO. They can grow up to 2" and are messy (e.g. heavy bioload) so I would get a larger tank if you could. You'll definitely need to get a good liquid test kit (API Master) and test the water daily and do water changes based on the test results. Until then I would do a 30-50% water change per day and don't overfeed. Fish food should be the staple as it has most of the nutrients the fish need but once or twice a week it's OK to give them a treat such a veggies or frozen food. Lettuce, cucumber, de-shelled frozen peas cooked in the microwave are some examples. In addition to the link above, this guide has some general info as well: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Thanks so much! I do have a great 15 gallon for them I just want to let them adapt to the change they just went through from my friends tank to mine then stick them in the 15! Unless it doesn't matter and I should move them ASAP?

Is the 15 gal cycled? You may want to start cycling it now :)

You may even consider increasing the number of guppies in that 15gal.
Goodluck :)

Not yet but I will def start cycling now! & I will totally look into more guppies once I do! Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom