New to fish tanks and in need of some advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how many fish do you have in the tank it's possible that the waste levels have not increased your ammonia enough for the beneficial bacteria to start to grow and convert the ammonia into nitrate. It usually takes a few weeks for the bacteria to grow in the tank. You can purchase products at your LFS that will introduce these bacteria into your tank allowing your tank to cycle much faster. I personally recommend a product made by Seachem called "stability". Also you might purchase Seachem "prime". It is a water conditioner that will not only declorinate your water but it also reduces ammonia in your take keeping it at a safer level for your fish. I have used Seachem products for all my tanks freshwater and marine for years and wont recommend another product they may be a little pricier than the tetra water conditioners that you may find at many LFS or Wal-Mart but it is much more concentrated so it will last you longer and the Prime takes care of ammonia which very few dechloinators do.

I currently have 5 Glofish in my 10 gallon tank right now. I am going to be in and out all weekend because my in-laws are in town and I am now so worried about my tank. I guess I didn't research as much as I thought or maybe I am just not understanding the entire cycle thing. I think I may have my husband read up a little on this and see if he can help me make some sense of all of this. I thought I was starting to get a grasp on it but apparently I am wrong. I think I should have done a fishless cycle!! Unfortunately I listened to my local pet store and now I can't bear to get rid of my fish! My dog and I absolutely LOVE watching them!! :confused:

Last edited:
I currently have 5 Glofish in my 10 gallon tank right now. I am going to be in and out all weekend because my in-laws are in town and I am now so worried about my tank. I guess I didn't research as much as I thought or maybe I am just not understanding the entire cycle thing. I think I may have my husband read up a little on this and see if he can help me make some sense of all of this. I thought I was starting to get a grasp on it but apparently I am wrong. I think I should have done a fishless cycle!! Unfortunately I listened to my local pet store and now I can't bear to get rid of my fish! My dog and I absolutely LOVE watching them!! :confused:

Hey, we all started this hobby the same way. Its ok. I had 3 different 10 gal setups before I even heard of cycling. And didnt fully understand cycling till I started my first reef tank. You did really start your cycle with too many fish. When cycling starting slow is the key. But if you can find those two Seachem products I recommended in my earlier post you should be able to make it through with all your fish happy and healthy in the end. The Prime will help keep your ammonia levels at a safe level and the Stability will help your tank cycle faster just remember to do your water changes. With that many fish I would do one every three days or so. Until your tank is stable

Alright, after rereading the thread I realized why your nitrite / nitrate readings are always at 0. With the tank being so new your BB in the tank aren't converting any of the ammonia yet. Imho you need to get that master test kit as soon as possible so you can start testing for ammonia. With 5 fish in an uncycled 10 gallon I would do a 50% water change every other day to keep ammonia down. Prime, while being a fabulous product doesn't actually remove ammonia, it only detoxifies it for a short time allowing the biological filter to take care of it. You will need to do a whole tank dose every two days to keep the functionality of the ammonia detoxification.

I am dubious about the functionality of bottled bacteria; in fact I just used Bio Spira on a quarantine tank of mine and it actually did absolutely nothing to help the biological filter. That being said, it wouldn't hurt anything to use it.

Alright, after rereading the thread I realized why your nitrite / nitrate readings are always at 0. With the tank being so new your BB in the tank aren't converting any of the ammonia yet. Imho you need to get that master test kit as soon as possible so you can start testing for ammonia. With 5 fish in an uncycled 10 gallon I would do a 50% water change every other day to keep ammonia down. Prime, while being a fabulous product doesn't actually remove ammonia, it only detoxifies it for a short time allowing the biological filter to take care of it. You will need to do a whole tank dose every two days to keep the functionality of the ammonia detoxification.

I am dubious about the functionality of bottled bacteria; in fact I just used Bio Spira on a quarantine tank of mine and it actually did absolutely nothing to help the biological filter. That being said, it wouldn't hurt anything to use it.

I agree with you that bottled bacteria isn't always the best product I've had problems with other brands myself thats why I recommended the Stability I know by experience that it works. I also know that Prime will only detox the ammonia but that is why it is important to use Stability and Prime together the Prime will detox the ammonia and the bacteria in the Stability will convert it into nitrates. In an ideal situation I would recommend doing a natural cycle, but we dont have that option here and not risk heavy casualties. This is the best way I've learned how to salvage a bad startup.

Hey, we all started this hobby the same way. Its ok. I had 3 different 10 gal setups before I even heard of cycling. And didnt fully understand cycling till I started my first reef tank. You did really start your cycle with too many fish. When cycling starting slow is the key. But if you can find those two Seachem products I recommended in my earlier post you should be able to make it through with all your fish happy and healthy in the end. The Prime will help keep your ammonia levels at a safe level and the Stability will help your tank cycle faster just remember to do your water changes. With that many fish I would do one every three days or so. Until your tank is stable

That's funny that you mention starting up three times before hearing of cycling. It wasn't until my fourth attempt that I finally learned what it meant to cycle a tank :)

I'm so sorry I've been absent! My in-laws have been in town for the weekend and this is the first time I've been able to reply. My fish are still lively and doing awesome as weird as that may be. Without me being able to do anything with my tank since Friday I figured they would have died since everything is kinda so crazy with it right now. Are the Seachem products I should get the prime and the stability? Then do a 50% water change? After doing the water change should I then add both of these products directly to the water? Should my fish be removed during this process? I am so confused now.

I'm so sorry I've been absent! My in-laws have been in town for the weekend and this is the first time I've been able to reply. My fish are still lively and doing awesome as weird as that may be. Without me being able to do anything with my tank since Friday I figured they would have died since everything is kinda so crazy with it right now. Are the Seachem products I should get the prime and the stability? Then do a 50% water change? After doing the water change should I then add both of these products directly to the water? Should my fish be removed during this process? I am so confused now.

The prime is a highly recommended water conditioner that removes chlorine, chloramines, heavy metals, and will detoxify ammonia / nitrite for a few days. It needs to be added to new water if you don't use any other dechlorinator.

The stability isn't a necessity but supposedly helps speed up the cycling of your tank and can be used with fish in the tank as well. If you wanted to use stability I would add it after a water change.

The prime is a highly recommended water conditioner that removes chlorine, chloramines, heavy metals, and will detoxify ammonia / nitrite for a few days. It needs to be added to new water if you don't use any other dechlorinator.

The stability isn't a necessity but supposedly helps speed up the cycling of your tank and can be used with fish in the tank as well. If you wanted to use stability I would add it after a water change.

Happy to hear your guys are still kicking... or swimming rather :) Yes you would want to do your water change first. Add the Prime in the new water before you place it in the tank. Then after the tank is clean and full add the Stability. Your fish will be perfectly fine through the whole process in their tank.

Aside from ordering the prime and the stability online. I can't seem to locate it anywhere. Do you know if Petco would possibly carry it? I saw it on their website but I can't be certain if they carry it in their store. I really dread the idea of going back in to the pet store because they are so RUDE and they literally act as if they know everything. I honestly can say they are pushy and that's the reason I am in this situation! I guess I just don't want to face them and then have them shoving more information down my throat again! I don't need to be more confused.

That's funny that you mention starting up three times before hearing of cycling. It wasn't until my fourth attempt that I finally learned what it meant to cycle a tank :)

Lol... its like I said before we all went through this before we learned from our mistakes. I used to just blame all my new fish dying on Wal-Mart's (where I would sometimes get my fish) poor aquarium care and maintenance. But there isn't a single person that could or would take the time to explain to you the cycling process there. When I learned about cycling a tank it was a big hand to the forehead moment for me. Now I sometimes "rescue" fish from Wal-Mart if I see them in horrible tank conditions :)

Aside from ordering the prime and the stability online. I can't seem to locate it anywhere. Do you know if Petco would possibly carry it? I saw it on their website but I can't be certain if they carry it in their store. I really dread the idea of going back in to the pet store because they are so RUDE and they literally act as if they know everything. I honestly can say they are pushy and that's the reason I am in this situation! I guess I just don't want to face them and then have them shoving more information down my throat again! I don't need to be more confused.

Petsmart will carry it if you have one near by... or you can go to the Seachem website there they have a locator that will tell you if there are any LFS in the area that are dealers. They usually dont list Petsmart as a dealer I guess because they are a chain store, but I know they have it because that is where I get mine from.

I'm not sure if they carry it but you could always try calling them to see. If they don't have it then I would suggest ordering from Big Als Pets, they are the best place i've found to order cost wise and their shipping time is really fast.

Sorry I've been absent! Life has been slightly crazy for us here. I wish I had a better update however I really don't. I am down to 2 fish. :( I've decided to (as sad as this makes me) just keep my tank as is for right now because I know these fish do not have much longer. Then start all over again. My fish are dying fast and I know I can't save them. A friend of mine who has a beautiful aquarium has informed me that she is willing to help me but she suggested just starting fresh. Like I said I wish I had a better update but I don't. I tried almost everything that you all have suggested but I believe it was too late. I wish I would have researched myself before listening to my pet store but I guess we all learn lessons right?

Im sorry to hear that... sometimes we just have to take a step back before we can leap forward. Good luck :)

I think that's how I see it too. Once I start over again I will let you all know! I would like to say thank you!! You all have been so patient and helpful! I'm sure once the starting over process begins I will have another thousand questions!! haha! :)

If the fish are still alive then do daily 50% water changes until you're able to test the water. 5g of water isn't too much of a hassle to deal with when it's all said and done.

Back
Top Bottom