New to fish, thanks for the great advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurielou

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to the hobby but am qucikly becoming obessed with tropical freshwater fish. I have a 29 gallon which I am in the middle of cycling without fish, thanks to the great almost complete guide that I found on this site.
I love corys and would like to get a school of 6. I am not sure about what to put in mid-water, maybe cherry barbs?
Also we have city water with 8.2 pH. Should I be worried?

Anyway, I have been reading a lot of other threads here so I thought I should sign up. Thanks everyone!

Welcome to AA.

Your ph should be fine when you you get your fish they will adjust to the ph and be fine. If you try to use ph buffers then they can cause rapid changes in your ph which is bad for your fish.

O and great job on the fishless cycle :thumbs up: for you

You shouldn't be worried about the ph too much. I think that 6 cherry barbs would be good, with another schooling fish and maybe a centerpiece fish like rams, angelfish, or gourami:) add those and I would call it stocked. This is all with the cories, which I might ask what type?

I personally think your ph is too high. 8.2 is very high for most freshwater fish. Try googling freshwater fish that live in a ph of 8.2. Also ask your pet store what ph they keep their fish at, and if u find a fish then I'm sure it will be fine.

The LFS said their pH was around 8.3! They have good ratings online and their fish and plants all seemed healthy to me.
They have panda and julii (possibly they are really trilineatus). I was thinking about getting the latter.

Ok awesome as long as your LFS has their ph around yours it should be fine. Every places fish have to adapt the the place I mean like I've never seen a 8.3ph freshwater fish but where you live the fish have adapted.

Back
Top Bottom