New to freshwater plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aajvell93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am completely new to freshwater planted tanks. I have stuck completely to saltwater. The apartment I am in will not allow me to have a size tank that would be ideal for saltwater. I have a little ten gallon that I have started up as a little planted tank. At the moment I just have a few cheap plants and some guppies to get everything cycling. Everything is doing well. What are some ideas of cool plants, fish, or snails that could go in a ten gallon?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have sand for my substrate, normal lighting. I know I would need new lights but I'm not sure what to get yet. For filtration I have a plain box filter.

I have sand for my substrate, normal lighting. I know I would need new lights but I'm not sure what to get yet. For filtration I have a plain box filter.

Alright then, assuming you have stock tank lighting then this would be a good list of plants you could grow.

Excellent List of Low Light Plants

Anything that is a crypt would need a root tab which you can find directions for here

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/mebbids-diy-root-tabs-308735.html

As for a light, if you wanted to move up to medium light plants I would suggest looking at a finnex stingray. If you want high light plants I would suggest a Finnex Planted +

Medium and high light also requires fertilizers and a carbon source.
Fertilizers - Aquarium Plant Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums
I would suggest either the PPS pro or EI package.
Fertilizer dosing
PPS Pro - Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central
EI - Estimative Index Dosing Guide - Fertilizing - Aquatic Plant Central

Carbon source
Liquid Carbon
Flourish excel - Flourish, Aquarium Plant Fertilizers & Additives for Sale | PetSolutions
OR
Cidex Metricide Omnicide 14 Day Sterilization Gallon | eBay

The metricide 14 is 2x as strong as excel so if you go that route dose half as much as you would excel.

Or you could look at DIY or pressurized co2.

You could do a threadfin rainbowfish only tank with some easy plants like Anubius, hornwort, moneywort, banana plant, and jungle Val.

Thank you for the suggestions! I will be looking into these. As of right now I'd like to stay with some beginners plants and see how that goes. Also, what kind of snails would be safe with the plants in there?

I have just stepped into the realm of the Planted Tank, and have had great success keeping Anubias nana and Cryptocoryne wendtii. Assuming you have kept saltwater tanks successfully, you can probs handle some sorta advanced freshwater fish. Here are my suggestions: Scarlet badis, blue-eyed rainbowfish (I'd recommend Pseudomugil furcata, P. cyanodorsalis, P. paskai, or P. gertrudae), Celestial pearl danios, keep the guppies, endlers, red cherry shrimp, black or red bee shrimp, sparkling gouramis, a betta, Pygmy corydoras, Aphyosemion bitaeniatum, clown killifish, and nerite or ramshorn snails. Maybe Neolamphrolagus ocellatus.

Back
Top Bottom