New to plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moobs99

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi

Firstly I keep buying plants and they keep dieing because I don't have a co2 air thingy (sorry) and I don't have any substrate, iv just got sand, what I would like to no is.. Is there any way I can keep plants with out having to get them 2 things ?

Hi

Firstly I keep buying plants and they keep dieing because I don't have a co2 air thingy (sorry) and I don't have any substrate, iv just got sand, what I would like to no is.. Is there any way I can keep plants with out having to get them 2 things ?

Haha sand is substrate, and welcome to plants! Once you figure it out you'll be hooked for sure. You don't need to inject co2 for most plants, I don't and have a heavily planted tank. Just start out with some anubias and java ferns, they are low light plants that are easy to grow so they're great starter plants. All you do is tie the rhizome (the green horizontal stem at the bottom of the plant) to a rock or decoration and and keep your nitrate levels around 10ppm. Also make sure you don't bury the rhizome or the plant will die. If you have any questions I'm here and there are a ton of plant geniuses on here. Good luck!

Good info from Z. The biggest hurdle beginning plantkeepers usually run into is inadequate lighting. But as he said, you can make it as low tech or high tech as you want. Some of the most beautiful tanks I've seen are low tech no co2 tanks.

I've been having the same problem. I also have a sand substrate. Personally I think that my lighting is not sufficient. I was planning on upgrading to T5. Is that strong enough?

It all depends on the tank, on my 55g I have a dual t5NO and go medium-high light plants with the help of liquid carbon, on my ten gallon I have just a regular 18" t8 and it has always grown low-medium light plants very well.

Thanks guys :) I have T-5 lighting in the tank i think it's 15w bulbs, it's a 100lt tank that I have my Guppys in but would that lighting be ok ?I'm always looking at your tanks and getting very jealous lol, also how do I keep my nitrate at 10 ? I'm kidda new to all this but very willing to Learn :)

Doing weekly 50% WC's will keep nitrates down plus the more plants you have the more nutrients they pull out of the water.

Zimmanski said:
It all depends on the tank, on my 55g I have a dual t5NO and go medium-high light plants with the help of liquid carbon, on my ten gallon I have just a regular 18" t8 and it has always grown low-medium light plants very well.

Will a T5 be sufficient for this stocking list?

Anubias
Anacharis
Wisteria
Amazon swords
Flame swords.

Also I wanted to get some flame moss too.

Will a T5 be sufficient for this stocking list?

Anubias
Anacharis
Wisteria
Amazon swords
Flame swords.

Also I wanted to get some flame moss too.

Yep, I've had all of those except anacharis and the flame swords but they should do very well and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how fast the anarcharis grows

Just be sure if you use anacharis don't use a liquid carbon such as Excel because anacharis is very sensitive to it and will melt. If you want to use liquid carbon you could use Cabomba, Ambulia, Myrio, and a couple others.

Rivercats said:
Just be sure if you use anacharis don't use a liquid carbon such as Excel because anacharis is very sensitive to it and will melt. If you want to use liquid carbon you could use Cabomba, Ambulia, Myrio, and a couple others.

How about Aqueon plant food? Or is that the same as excel? Lol I learned that the hard way.

Zimmanski said:
Yep, I've had all of those except anacharis and the flame swords but they should do very well and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how fast the anarcharis grows

Anacharis grows like crazy! That's why I like it. It gives the tank a nice feel

Plant food is a fertilizer whereas liquid carbon is for aiding in photosynthesis and growth. And actually when liquid carbon or CO2 is used more ferts are generally needed. The thing with Liquid carbon is that you will get better growth than you would just using a fertilizer.

I actually didn't know that. WHEW. I almost got anarcharis but chose hydro hotto and green cabin a instead haha. I use flourish comp and excel

Back
Top Bottom