New to saltwater need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmckee727

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29 biocube I picked up used. Ran vinegar and water thru, scraped out all coraline, and have done a few water changes since. It's all freshwater just to run it thru the pumps and chambers to try and get the vinegar out. Within the next couple weeks I plan on taking it out and spraying it out good with hose. Now heres where the questions start: should I cut false floor out of first chamber to avoid accumulation of debris rotting in there? I have got crushed coral for substrate, can I get down in it with vacuum when tank gets running to eliminate bad stuff from accumulating? I know you can't disturb it too much after going but if I do regular cleanings is it ok to sift thru the substrate if there's not alot of build up in it?

My honest suggestion would be to look into inverts that will stir your substrate for you if you are that concerned :) plus they are the fun to watch, many are very goofy and amusing. I have a BC29, I have a diy refugium in the back- I wouldn't suggest putting crushed coral in the filter- nothing smaller than a nano rock- can cause mechanical problems I believe...

My honest suggestion would be to look into inverts that will stir your substrate for you if you are that concerned :) plus they are the fun to watch, many are very goofy and amusing. I have a BC29, I have a diy refugium in the back- I wouldn't suggest putting crushed coral in the filter- nothing smaller than a nano rock- can cause mechanical problems I believe...

Would that be crabs and starfish? Something big enough to move it? Also with a FOWLR will I need to repace ballast on Attinics before i get the liverock or will the regular daylights be ok until I get new ballast?

if you are running a fowlr you can use any light .Crabs work good i like the fighting conch as well as snails snails are amazing

I was wondering also about the false floor in first chamber in biocube. Should I keep it or get rid of it so debris can't be trapped? Any advice biocube owners?

Back
Top Bottom