New to saltwater, opinion in a aquarium kit.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vetryan15

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was curious if anyone had any opinion about the oceanic biocube 29gal tank? My local petsmart has the whole Kit for sale for $150. I am new to saltwater tanks, I wanted to start with a nano, just to c how I would b able to work it. I have heard more then enough horrible reviews, and a few good ones as well, and if I did what parts should I upgrade to, make it better? I dont have it as I am about to move, and am going to wait to set if up, or if anyone knows of any good tanks I should look at, trying to have a budget of $250 the max, just as a starter, thanks in advance.
Ryan

I really like our biocube. We have done a minimal upgrade thus far and I plan to keep adding. I can tell you that the word budget and aquarium don't go together. We have had our tank a little over a month and have already sunk about a grand. I have yet to upgrade any of the "big stuff" yet. You can run the biocube stock but I think most people at the very least upgrade the filtration system.

nano reefs usually go for 20 gallons at the most. There are going to be some parts you will have to add such as a water circulation pump and a refugium but other than that the petsmart brand is good. All of my tanks are from there and I have never had a problem.

Thanks for the help, I mean I really liked the cube, and at that price, I can't pass it up, since it's about $120 off of regular retail. I should have clarified on budget, I meant for a good starter tank.

I have a discontiuned model (aquapod) 12gal which is amazing but had to make some changes because that model had some Problems...
Im pretty new to reefs as
Well nano reefs are A
Good start. If you really want to go hard you can get the biocube 29 gal with the HQI light which does very well with corals and such. I love my nanoreef i wanted the HQI but it was a little pricey. Jbj isnt bad either, and be sure to check online you can get some good deals!

Buy the natural ocean water to save time and it just makes everything
So much easier, And there is a mini skimmer designed for biocube which i would reccomend but isnt TOTALLY nessasary.

When you get it fill it with the ocean water and put live sand and pile up some love rock and just let it cycle for a while, U may be surprised sometimes little creatures come out of the rocks, i got little yellow polyps off mine. Quite amazing

I have a 29g biocube and really like it. I think its a perfect starter tank too, stock equipment wise, it lets you keep a good selection of corals and you can fit a few fish in :)

Nothing too big though as far as fish but a pair of clowns and a couple other small fish would be a great start. :)

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom