new to SW= questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhomb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi guys, im new to SW aquariums, but ive been a long timer w/ FW,
i just started a 20 gallons of SW to see if ill like it.. i know its easier to matain w/ a big tank, but $$ isnt there so i cant invest 400$ right now!

Right what i have done to the tank is:

1- putting live sand ( the guy from the lfs told me it was..., but it looks more like parts of rocks...)

2- added water, and filters, and heater

3- brought salinity to 21.5

4- added 2 cocktail shrimps ( read it in an article on thsi site... think its for the bacteries.

5- added 8 pds of live rocks ( all i can afford right now)

6- brought water to80 dergrees

... im there i would like to know if any of you guys see anything i couldve missed
i know you guys around here in reefnut are expert so i prefer to ask before doin anything wrong. thx for any comments or any advices for a SW newbie ( somethhhing i should klnow)
:p

LS... what do you mean looks like large pieces of rock? It should look like sand, and crushed shells. Also, what do you mean 21.5 salinity? PPM's or SG? And :wink: , only 1 shrimp is needed for 20 gallons of water, 2 is likely to be over kill. 80 degrees is about right IMO.

One other comment for what it's worth. If the LR you are adding is uncured then that would be sufficient by itself to cycle your tank. If the LR is cured, then the small cocktail shrimp will do the trick. 8)

21.5 salinity? I really hope thats a typo unless youre trying to recreate the salt lake in Utah.

wut i meant is 1.0215, and i brought it up today to 1.0245
sup guys? my tank is still running good i left one shrimp there for the bacteria, how long do i leave it there?
And wut fish do you think is good and fun for a newb? im thinking of some kind of SW puffer... i dunno!
neways cya guys

Good fish for a beginner that would work in your tank would either be Damsels Of Percula Cownfish or possibly a TR Fridimani Psuedochromis.. The tank is WAY too Small to house any kind of puffer... with a 20 gal tank your not going to be able to house anything more than that IMO.. However I think that a good single fish idea would be a Radiata Lionfish Awesome looking fish however venomous and agressive therefor it should be the only fish in the tank.. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=241

HTH,
James

The fish combo I would recomend would be a royal gramma, a small shrimp goby and a yelow tail blue damsel. Add the damsel last and you should be fine. This will give you good color and fish activity at every level of the tank. As well as hardy long lived species of fish.

Darin

www.captivereefs.com

Might be a good idea to do some research on type of fish. compatibilities and requirements before you buy any livestock. There are some great books out there on the topic, just check the recommended reading section of this forum for more information. Good luck 8)

Back
Top Bottom