new to this all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah i was told them are nothing but pest but was also told some peppermint shrip will eat those later. Not sure if that is true or not

i was told there not algea more like a worm but was told it was a type of anemone a undesirable one
Does anybody know the names of what that is?

i see what you guys are talking about now i was looking at the 2nd picture sorry guys is there any thing u can put in there to eat all that algae hate to pull it all out and stir up the sand again

This skimmer has great reviews and is excellent for the price. Not sure if you have a sump or not, but many people use this skimmer for their nanos and most enjoy it's skimming capabilities.

AquaticLife 115 Skimmer

i don't know what eats that. i can't I.D. it from the pic, but if you do find something that eats it, you are going to have to feed the fish or invert something else after he eats it all.
depending on the creature, that might not be an ideal situation.

if i can find something to eat it depending on the price after it is done take it back to the lfs trade for something else

how long does it take a tank to cycle mine has been running since sunday and i have a small critter looks like a tiny snail off the lr and he is still alive so i was wondering if it cycled or he is managing right now my nitrates and nitrites are 0 not sure the amonia level

here are some pics of the green algae along with some red algae working on spreading onto the sand and also if anybody can help me what is on the lr looks kinda like some sort of coral just a round spot of brown something lol thanks for the help

Attachments

• P2080762.jpg
    P2080762.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 140
  • P2080763.jpg
    P2080763.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 145
  • P2080765.jpg
    P2080765.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 133
  • P2080764.jpg
    P2080764.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 159
it takes 3-4 weeks for a cycle usually.
the red on the sand is cyanobacteria. you don't need to be running your lights right now. all it's doing is helping nuisance algae to grow.
i can't make out some of the algae. i do see some dying halimedia.
rip a piece off and shoot a picture of it out of the tank so we can see the shape of the leaves.

here are some pics of the algae sorry couldn't get a real clear shot. I have been keeping the lights off and have noticed a lot of little creatures in the tanks have a blue legged hermit crab seen two tiny white snails a few little star fish long armes looks like it has tons of small barbs black with i think tiny grey stripes. noticed a worm has burrowed a hole in the sand next to the glass and also a few small looking bugs running on the sand not sure what any of them are sucks being the new guy not having a clue what all is in the tank right now lol

Attachments

• P2090782.jpg
    P2090782.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 136
  • P2080770.jpg
    P2080770.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 147
  • P2090783.jpg
    P2090783.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 161
its been 2 weeks since i got my tank up and running i have noticed those little things that i thought were snails they are little white creatures kinda look a little like slugs with 2 tiny antennas i now have a total of five but also I have noticed alot of sediment moving around in the current. I have a rough sand also so i dont think its the sand not for sure any ideas how to fix it. I hace a bio cube 29 with a 425gph power head is that to big for the small tank

google "stomatella snails".
i don't think that power head is too big at all. i think you need to catch that sediment. what we strive for with power heads is to have enough flow so that detritus is suspended long enough for the filtration to remove it. it's a good thing that it's not landing. can you use a filter pad for a week or so?

i had a pad in it but took it out to put in the biocube skimmer so i take it might be better to go with the pad and not the skimmer. Those stomatella snails are exactly what i have so far five other then them what others would you recommend for a clean up crew?

i don't recommend cleanup crews to be quite honest. i don't believe in them. i like crabs and snails because i like diversity in my tank, not because i have faith in them being the missing link between a dirty tank and a clean one.

my advice would be to buy some critters (once you have no ammonia or nitrite) like maybe a couple astrea snails and a few tiny hermits, and watch them for a while. don't go crazy with a ton of inverts right now.

Emeralds eat diatoms, hair algae and scavenge. They are notoriously hard to keep. Most ppl say they die in a few months for no apparent reason. It's a crap shoot. I've had them before in my 90. They both died.

That said, i bought two for my 125 to attack the hair algae while I get nitrates under control.

If the nitrates are out of control then the emerald crab will die. They don't survive in those conditions. You should add them after the nitrates are under control.

Back
Top Bottom