New used 30 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelika

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have gotten a used 30 gallon tank, stand and some supplies. Previous owner had water only, they never managed to put fish in the tank. There are several different tubes, two pumps and some miscellaneous items, no filter system, decorations or gravel.
I haven't had a tank in many years and have been doing a lot of searching on setting up. I did find a video about how to clean although it is for a tank that is all set up with filters and everything. I am trying to figure out if I should set up what I have and clean all of this and then get what I still need or clean everything then set up.
Thoughts or suggestions?

Personally I'd figure out the right filter to get, get what you need ready to set up. Then have a big clean and start cycling the empty tank, with substrate Etc. But I'm sure there will be more informed advice, I'm pretty new to this myself :)

All the best!

I agree with Kwakatoo: get yourself a good filter, first. For that size tank, I'd recommend the Aquaclear 50. They do a good job and they're very easy to maintain. You'll also need a heater. For a 30g tank, I'd get a 100w heater. There are a lot of good models on the market.

What kind of fish do you want to keep? Do you want live plants, or will you be happy with artificial?

I am considering live plants, haven't decided for sure. As for fish, I keep looking and can't decide except I like bright colors and don't care for goldfish.
Thanks for the help, I wasn't even sure what type of filter to get.

As for fish stock, I can only recommend what Ive experienced over the last few months, and I have made some wrong and right choices. At the moment, guppies are working for me.. The males are great to keep (adding females can be a stress with resultant fry) but the males are gorgeous in colour and looks, and quite hardy to keep for those of us still getting our groove on with water keeping. They work well with Mollies, neon tetras etc. All good community fish.

Do some research to make sure your fish choices work well in a community, that those fish which prefer schools are with buddies of 4-6 and that they are accommodating to other species. Eg, I had a male Endler guppie in with male guppies and he fin nipped..

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, I had neons before and that is what I was leaning towards. I had other fish although I can't remember which ones. I think they were guppies though.

Hi!

I love Neons and Cardinals. I have recently started keeping some Snakeskin Endlers which I am really enjoying.

60074-albums14573-picture70499.jpg

One of my newer absolutely favorite fish is the Microdevario Kubotai. Harder to locate sometimes and her, around 3.99-4.99 each at lfs - not inexpensive.

These aren't that great of pics but you can see the amazing blue to lavender color across their backs!
60074-albums14573-picture70525.jpg

60074-albums14573-picture70526.jpg

60074-albums13090-picture70527.jpg

Thanks, I had neons before and that is what I was leaning towards. I had other fish although I can't remember which ones. I think they were guppies though.

As a suggestion, your tank is perfect for a school of 11-15 neons, and then maybe a few colorful fish that are a bit larger, such as platys, or a single male dwarf gourami.

Back
Top Bottom