New with sand - need help with grain size!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senemedar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Since I'm starting with a new tank this Christmas I decided to try my luck with sand as a substrate. I think I'm missing something though, as anything I could find is about £8-£10 for a bag. I've found some sand on eBay (here's the link and I think the price is reasonable. The only problem I have with this sand is... the grain size!
So - what size should I go for? I think 0.5-1mm sq. might be too dense, but don't know really...
I have a few plants I want to put into it, with some root tablets and Seachem Excel to kill the horrible algae...

Any ideas or thoughts? I'd appreciate any input :)

1 mm sand is actually fairly coarse. ISO grain sizing would rate this as coarse sand, and there are 3 finer grades below that. This should be OK for a planted tank.

I do however, use Schultz aqua soil, which is one size coarser (1-2 mm or extra-coarse). Most of the plant media in lfs are this size. However, lots of people use play sand (at 0.5 - 1 mm or coarse), and they are fine with it.

Incidentally, this is not really a good price for sand ... at almost 20 pounds (that is what $35?) per bag with shipping, that is expensive .... I can get eco-complete or similar for that price. At my local landscape & pond supply place, I buy coarse sand at $30 a cu yard (which is about 1000Kg). I can get small bags (1 cu ft or ~ 80lb) for $2-3 ....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom