New zebra danios dying - help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thursyanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I bought a 55 gal tank I'm still working on. In the meantime, I bought a little 5 gal to start my media in and put in 8 little zebra danios. They seemed to be doing fine all day yesterday but today, one died and one looks like he's having seizures. I'm testing my water once a day and my levels look good except I have hard water and my ph seems to be super high. around 8. What do I need to do? I don't want to lose my little fish.

Forgot to say that my alkalinity is around 180, which I know is high.

I have 6 zebra danios in a 26g tank. I lost one when i did a pwc. They are supposed to be the best fish for cycling. Im not sure about the alkalinity. Ill do some research.

8 Zebra Danios in a 5 gallon is a bit much, the levels are probably spiking to quickly, or lack of oxygen in the water. 2 Danios would have been enough to start and finish the cycle, you could then add fish slowly and build on the bacteria required as you progress.

I agree, there's a bit too may fish in a 5 gal (plus danios are active and they'd prefer more swim room). What test kit are you using? If it's strips they aren't very accurate. I'm suspecting an ammonia spike. What are the actual levels of the test and what are you testing for?

I'd start with a 50% water change with dechlorinator.

The alkalinity thing is a bit too much for my brain to handle. But thats quite a bit of zebras for 5g. The ph is ok. My tap is 8.2 and in my 26g its 8.0 and they are all fine.

I agree, there's a bit too may fish in a 5 gal (plus danios are active and they'd prefer more swim room). What test kit are you using? If it's strips they aren't very accurate. I'm suspecting an ammonia spike. What are the actual levels of the test and what are you testing for?

I'd start with a 50% water change with dechlorinator.

Thanks for all the input. I did a 25% wc and added more dechlorinator and so far so good. I do have a 50% death loss though. :(
I'm using (sorry to say) the test strips because I didn't know enough at the time, and listened to the guy at Pet Smart who said they worked great. I think I'm going to take a sample down to the lfs today to get an accurate read. My levels have looked the same for a week now. 0 Nitrites, Nitrates at 20, and PH 7.8. I don't see an ammonia reading on the strips anywhere. My water hardness is too much, I think, at 300. I might add a little aquarium salt to bring it down.
I do appreciate all the advice. Keep it coming!

Invest in the master test kit. I got mine on amazon for $23. I use it everyday. I have been doing daily 50% water changes everyday for 4 days. You will take all the unknowns out of the equation and know when and how much water needs to be changed.

Invest in the master test kit. I got mine on amazon for $23. I use it everyday. I have been doing daily 50% water changes everyday for 4 days. You will take all the unknowns out of the equation and know when and how much water needs to be changed.

Next payday, I'm getting a better kit, I promise! No more deads this week. I must be doing something right now. Thanks for the hellp.

Back
Top Bottom