Newbee with 2 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stusclan

Aquarium Advice Activist
:?: Hi, I'm new here - and to the sw addiction. I just changed my 55 gal fw to fowlr. I'm using a fluval 404 and powerhead. I'm getting conflicting information on what to leave in the fluval. Someone told me to take all my media out and leave only the filter sponges. Another lfs told me to fill the 3 bottom trays with biostars and the top with charcoal? What is the right thing to do? I currently have about 25 pounds of live rock, blue damsel and yellow tang. The tank is 48" long, so the tang has lots of room. I also have assorted scavengers. Snotty sixteen year-old put a brittle star in yesterday. What do you recommend.

Also, should I be quaranteeing my scavengers when I get them? I'm not planning anymore fish for awhile, but I need a few more scavengers.

Any help will do.
T

I don't think QT'ing the inverts is necessary... they don't carry many diseases like fish..... as far as your filter I would use the "biostars" and charcoal.... the thing is that eventually you'll want to replace the stars with little pieces of LR..... if you can afford that now I recommend getting the pieces of LR.... you're going to hear it a million times but I would also HIGHLY recommend getting a protein skimmer ASAP.... it really helps keeping the nitrates in check.... I've got a 60 gal myself....

i had the 404 in my 75 with 2 ph and keep the media in the bins. I would now probably use more live rock and less media, but you can use the media and then run some ac to keep the water looking good. Protein skimmer is a really good idea!!!!

Jim

If you plan on FO or FOWLR, then the normal media would probably work. Just keep your nitrates in mind oas the tank matures.

With a reef tank most just use LR/LS for filtration. I use a power filter on occasion to help with small debris in the tank but normally dont use it. The power filter on my 10 gal holds sand, rock and macro algae :)

I doubt that you have enough LR to do much good. I would just use carbon in your fluval 404. and you will want to greatly increase your water circulation. think 1000 gph. and you will be good.

I'm planning on at least 50 more pounds of live rock, it's not easy finding it here in the desert - and it is very expensive. Any suggestions on a good skimmer for a 55? Husband is being very good at how much money I am spending on my hobby, but he's getting a little tired of my new toys.
T

try liverocks.com you can order some really amazing rock from them and for cheaper than what you will find at the pet store.

as far as a skimmer goes there are really only two that everyone recommends. The Aqua C Remora, and the CPR Bak Pak 2R.

If your husband freaks now, wait till you bring up the subject of lighting!

Hello fellow neighbor! There is not much in the way of live rock here in the desert for sure. I get everything online these days. The good shops are quite a distance from me, and pricing is usually a factor. I checked a few here: Aquarium Arts, Ocean Floor, and Fish Place. All of these have live rock for $8.00 a pound, unless you're ready to buy 200lbs. of it, it would be around $5.00 a lb. As Rocketseason said, liverocks.com is the best stuff I have seen lately.
The CPR Bak Pak 2R would be a good skimmer for your tank. Depending on your bioload, I would get the biggest one you can.
What will you be using for lighting?

Mike

hirocks.com has very cheap dry base rock that you can use to suppliment. in time it will be "real" LR

Thanks for all the info. I'll look into more rock after next pay check. I was thinking about the BakPak2, looks great to me.

The topic of lighting has come up - we'll probably build our own hood with compact flourescent and actinic. I want to look at a few options before buying or building. I have a 10000 Coralife now. Single bulb, which I know won't be enough in the long run.

Thanks again,
t

Back
Top Bottom