Newbie Help.... buying used tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rohitp78

Aquarium Advice Activist
Having a successful freshwater aquarium for more than 2 years, i want to move to saltwater setup. I am planning to buy a used tank, and need help with this.

Here are the details i received from seller. "The tank is 55 gal saltwater, equipped with live rock and live sand. The tank is setup with a wet/dry filter and high power/actinic light. This light is very expensive and is mandatory for people who want to grow invertebrates (I had clams and shrimp). The tank is currently still full and running"

My question is can the sand/rock remain alive without fish? Is there anything else i need to check or ask the seller before buying? Does anyone have ay ideas for moving the tank?

thanks in advance...

Make sure you find out what meds they have treated the tank with. Copper is a big no-no. If the seller has been feeding the tank to keep the beneficial bacteria alive, I would say yes. How long have the fish been absent and what is in there now?
Do a search on this site about moving tanks, I think you'll find tons of helpful posts.

Update:

Just checked the tank, its 55 gallon glass with stand and hood. It was full and running without any fish and had live rock and live sand. It also has 65W * 4 CF lights 2 10K and 2 actinic and a wet dry filter below the tank (looked like 20Gal) with protien skimmer in it. The rocks were covered with some kind of green algae (hair algae?). Can this algae be cleaned up easily? or i should look for other setups? The only reason i was inclined to this was because it was still running and had live rock and sand. i think it did not have any fish from past 1 month or so.

Also he is asking $550 and can get down to $500 Is this a good price for this setup? He also has a test kit and misc items.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0126_1.jpg
    IMG_0126_1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0124_1.gif
    IMG_0124_1.gif
    77.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0124_2.gif
    IMG_0124_2.gif
    171.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
with no fish in there for about a month i would question how much is really still left alive, assuming he hasnt been feeding it. The hair algae can be a tough battle, some can defeat it with decreased light times and smaller feedings where others spends months with no avail. Im not sure if you are pursueing this because of money or convience but either way you should consider price matching this setup versus doing it yourself and if its really worth the convience. I have setup all my tanks on a tight budget, buying dry rock and curing myself, while it takes a little more time its worth it because you know everything about the tank.
I set up my 55 for about $300 but i had a heater and lights laying around, and no sump is attached.

Thanks for the reply. The only reason i was pursuing this approach to save money and will not be able to afford everything new.

If i get a new setup currently FOWLR and later have the ability to add inverts i thought i would be spending more than $1000. The setup will include 55 Gal tank, stand, wet/dry filter or sump, pumps, skimmer, lights, live rock, live sand, test kits and misc items.

Is there a cheaper way to achieve this?

To be honest, I don't think that's such a good deal. It's cheaper than buying all "new" stuff, but not not by much. Plus you are stuck with what he bought, not what you want.
That isn't a whole lot of lr, maybe 30 lbs? They look pretty algea covered, but they can be cleaned up with no problem. As long as there is still water circulating in the tank, it will still be live.
Forget about using the live sand "as is". You can use the sand, but I would rinse the crap out of it with fw to clean it out. It won't be live anymore, but will be safer to use.
Compact flourescent are not "high powered" lights. They are the 2nd least intense lights you can use. Normal output flourescent is the only "weaker" lighting. You would be limited to soft coral and maybe some low light LPS (maybe).

Get it down to $300 and you got a deal :)

:)Thanks for the reply, I will try to bargain the price and if not then i will keep checking other configurations..

Back
Top Bottom