Newbie here..suggestions pls... :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all
I know this may sound stupid,but i just wanted to ask.. :ermm: i m a newbie in fish keeping and wanted to have a colorful tank. I have a 10 gallon tank with aqua-tech 5-15 filter,a submersible heater,hood,light and all. I did a lot of research before starting and waited 3 weeks before going to buy fish (did my nitrogen cycle thingy). I took some water for testing and the petsmart ppl said it was perfect,so i bought 3 glofish initially,coz i read that they are the hardiest fish. Sadly,one of them was being bullied so much by the other two that i took pity on him and gave him back to the pet store. I replaced him with 2 more glofish and a platy coz i know glofish are schooling fish and would not fight when in a group. I know i should add only 3 fish at the start,but it was almost a week already and i had done partial water change twice in that time. They instantly bonded(except the platy,but no one disturbed her though,she sort of goes around the tank by herself,not heeding the others either!)

Okay here is my question :) -now that i ve added 5 fishes in my newly cycled tank,i decided to do a daily 20-30% water change..will that be ok? (i did it today already and my fishes acted all cool about it lol (y)) i m also planning to get 1 more female platy(to give the existing female company),two albino corys and 1 female guppy(maybe,coz i dont want any kind of breeding). I know it ll be a bit crowded for my 10 gallon tank(by the one inch per gallon rule),but will it be fine if i do a partial water change every 2 days? coz i read that we cant crowd the tank only coz ammonia level gets high too soon due to fish wastes..i also read that partial water change reduces the level of ammonia,so my question is,can i do regular partial water change and algae cleaning every 2 days and be able to maintain all my fishes healthy? i m really enthusiastic about all my little friends,so i m willing to do even daily partial water change,if necessary(hardly takes 20 minutes for me) AND if it does not affect my fishes' health by anyway...but what i m worried about is,is there anything other than the ammonia and algae i should be worried about when i overcrowd my tank??

Thanks in advance for ur kind advice..
P.S: I really cant afford for another tank,so please do give ur ideas on what i can do with mine...and i really really want the other female platy and corys(heard i cant have one alone..) and later on maybe a female guppy(not sure about it though)
Thanks again :fish2:

Congratz on your new tank! I think you should be alright with what you have and adding the platie and corries. I would not get the guppy. If i were you i would only do a 30% pwc once a week if you have a good enough filter. Good Luck!! If you have any other ?'s just ask!!

Since platies are social I would just get one more then be done. Not really a good idea to over stock like that. I mean I under stand you're willing to do a lot of pwc, but still would you like to be cramped like Anne frank? Cause that's exactly how the fish are gonna be. You could upgrade or get another 10 then get more fish, but not really a good idea...

Thank u for ur instant reply..:) The aqua-tech 5-15 filter came along with the tank,so i think it must be good... About the pwc,is it harmful to the fish if i do it twice weekly? coz i did twice last week already...and can i know exactly how much i should feed my fish? every time i put in a pinch my pink glofish and the orange one eat most of the stuff up,the other 3 pick the food that floats a little below the surface,but i get worried if that is enough and end up putting a little more than i plan to(though they eat most of it except the flakes that go here and there in the gravel)..i feed them twice a day with 3-4 pinches of food.. am i doing this right?? or am i underfeeding my fish??

lol no i would not like that :) thank u for ur suggestion..i will rethink my ideas :)

fishbie said:
Thank u for ur instant reply..:) The aqua-tech 5-15 filter came along with the tank,so i think it must be good... About the pwc,is it harmful to the fish if i do it twice weekly? coz i did twice last week already...and can i know exactly how much i should feed my fish? every time i put in a pinch my pink glofish and the orange one eat most of the stuff up,the other 3 pick the food that floats a little below the surface,but i get worried if that is enough and end up putting a little more than i plan to(though they eat most of it except the flakes that go here and there in the gravel)..i feed them twice a day with 3-4 pinches of food.. am i doing this right?? or am i underfeeding my fish??

The filter is good for now but it's always a good idea to go up 10 g. And the food I would only do 2 pinches, but it's whatever you think cause you're the one who's feeding them. And the pwc if you do it 2 weekly I would only do about 15-20%.
Well good luck :D

Back
Top Bottom