Newbie: JBJ 12 gallon nano build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what I have planned for the next few weeks is to:

- Reorganize the Chambers, possible buying one of those media baskets to make things easier. Chamber 1: Sponge, Carbon, ceramic Chamber 2: Empty Chamber 3: heater and pump.

Does that sound okay? How much carbon and ceramic do I need per pouch? And do I need to replace the factory submersible pump?

- Replace the tap water with LFS RO water or get distilled water to mix with salt

List of items to buy:
- Saltwater master kit
- Thermometer
- Hydrometer or refractometer
- Ehiem Jager 100w heater / Aqueon 100w heater. Not sure which one to get
- Distilled water
- Red Sea Salt Mix
- Live sand (Not sure what kind to get)
- Possibly a new pump (Do I need to replace the factory pump?)
- Hydor Rotating Deflector

am I on the right track for now?

Do a wavemaker... Much better water circulation and get the RED SEA salt mix it does wonders for the tank...

Well I use a Resun 2000 waver... It does a great job but I am sure your store would have a better range... The main thing to look for is that it is hardy with a good join between the unit and the suction cups so that it won't break... It should have a good wide range... An adjustable one would be even better since you can adjust the force to suit the tank... Some coral prefer lower water flow and some like high water flow

I use pool filter sand in both of my reef tanks. It is reasonably priced and easy to use. My fish love it. I would get about 15-20 pounds of base rock and about 5 pounds of live rock.

Well what ever the sand don't keep it too deep cause bacteria is going to start taking over the sand bed if not... Live rock is measured at 1 pound of live rock to every 1 gallon of water...

Not sure actually I have never tried bade rock... I have a 10 gallon and a 15 gallon and for me it's live rock all the way...

Hm i'll do some research on that.

But when I get the live rock. Do I have to do anything specific before i put it in the tank.

Not sure how long i am suppose to put it in a separate bucket for. I need to let it sit in the bucket with a pump and heater before I put it in the tank is that correct?

and the sand just needs to be rinsed before putting it in the tank.

Rinse the sand in salt water a couple is times and it can go in the tank... The live rock needs to sit in a bucket only is it is going in to a tank with fish in it that has already been established... Ideally let the live rock be in the tank for three weeks to a month before adding anything in there...

Make sure that you don't get any unwanted hitch jokers with your live rock... Bristle worms or majano for example...

So I dont have to put the pump or heater in there ?

Later down the road I'll add fishes and corales

Craig and other membersThanks for answering all my questions. If it weren't for you guys I wouldn't know what to do.

Thanks again. Hopefully I can get everything together in a week or two and start cycling.

Base rock is much cheaper than live rock. That is why I suggested it. It will become live during the cycle. Also the live rock has bacteria already on it and will speed up your cycle.

Thanks spoonman I didn't know what base rock was :)

And you are very welcome! This is what this forum is for... Update us with pics as you go along k

Back
Top Bottom