Newbie: JBJ 12 gallon nano build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cuc yes, maybe a mushroom or something hardy but gotta go slow, this is the most tedious part. You have to add as your bioload can handle it. The slower the better. What kind of lighting do you have?

I am using the original lighting system.

I will probably just add a cuc for now.

Instead of doing a water change. Can acclimating count as a water change? Since it'll probably take out about a gallon or two of water.

Yeah your ph is a little high but you can add the crew. The water change should help with the ph.

What is the original lighting system?

Lighting: (2) 24 Watt 50/50 CF Lamp + Remote Ballast, (2) Nite Vu LED Moonlights. 18W 50/50 Powercompact Light

i just googled it and copied and paste the lighting information.

Is it necessary to acclimate the cuc before I put it in the tank?

Yes you def wanna acclimate anything you put into your tank.

That lighting will sustain a decent amount of coral. Did you buy the moon lights?

the moon light came with the whole set up.

instead of doing a water change... can I just acclimate the CUC and fill up the tank with new water?

Cycling is officially over. Are the parameters seems good.

Ph - 7.8
Everything else is at 0
Temp dropped to about 79.5 with the lights on

Attachments

• image-3055241350.jpg
    image-3055241350.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 105
Heading to the lfs and going to check out what they have. Any specific ones I should get? Would I be able to get some sort of shrimp also?

I wouldn't get a shrimp today, the tank is way too new. A good cuc usually consist of hermit crabs, blue crabs, snails, and a law mower blenny or some sort of goby that will help with algae growth and or left over food/dietrus.

Oh and you might wanna look into a small fan or something to help with the temp control. For my 60 I have a fan that is on the same timer as my t5ho so it helps with the control. I moved the fan away from the tank, about 2 feet, so that the tank can heat up but slowly and it tops out around 77-77.5 then starts to cool back down again. Simple and very effective. On my pico, I have LEDs so the temp isnt really ever an issue. Oh and an FYI, the fan for my 60 was only 15 bucks at my Lfs.

Just got back from lfs and picked up some cuc for now.

Attachments

• image-1995655021.jpg
    image-1995655021.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 102
  • image-2293962829.jpg
    image-2293962829.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 103
Updated picture of the tank from today. After water change and adding cuc.

Attachments

• image-2317780798.jpg
    image-2317780798.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 112
So my power went out last night. Everything turned off for about 8 hrs and looks like I might have lost the snails and I can't find the hermit crab.

ahoDMV said:
So my power went out last night. Everything turned off for about 8 hrs and looks like I might have lost the snails and I can't find the hermit crab.

Why do you think you lost the snails? We don't often do it, but times like those is when we wish we have bought the 15$ battery operated air pump.

If they are truly dead, then yes, but I don't see how 8 hours off would have killed then if your tank has been properly cycled.

My snails are funky bro, sometimes the turbos will move crazy fast, and sometimes they won't move for a day at a time. Just wait and see I'm sure they are fine. So what caused ur power to cut off?

Back
Top Bottom