Newbie: JBJ 12 gallon nano build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wasn't planning on by anything but the girlfriend insisted that we buy something since we drove 40 mins to get there.

Here's the blenny. Starting to get comfortable.

Attachments

• image-233846167.jpg
    image-233846167.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 132
Oh yeah he's in heaven. Lol btw, that's a good girlfriend

Lol sure is.

Blenny looks more relaxed and is coming out of his hole every few second. Ended up moving the rocks again. Made room so I can have room to put some corals in the future.

Attachments

• image-580603305.jpg
    image-580603305.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 107
  • image-1290185205.jpg
    image-1290185205.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 115
I am a little concerned about my nassarius snails. They have been in the same spot for days. Every morning I always find one upside down. Is there anything I can do to get them to be more active? and should I leave the one upside down alone or is he okay?

Parameters for July 7, 2012:
Temp - 78
NH 3 - 0
NO 2 - 0
NO 3 - 0
PH - 8.0
salinity - 1.026

This morning i noticed a snail that looks naked and thought it was a nerite snail that left its shell but I'm not sure or is it another type of snail.

Attachments

• image-376003850.jpg
    image-376003850.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 107
Not sure about the snails. The one looks to be out of his shell but not 100%. Are you feeding with brine or anything yet? Snails and crabs eat dietrus which is from left over food and waste products from your fish. Since you only have one fish I would recommend throwing a small cube, or a portion of a larger cube, into the tank. They will eat it and it will keep your bacteria levels up as they will covert it to nitrate. Who knows, maybe your blenny will have a bite it two as well. Mine both munch on a brine or two every once in a while.

when I got my blenny I put a pinch of Dainichi reef veggie fx since thats what one of the employees at the lfs told me was fine.

I'll probably head out and grab some brine and drop some in.

Just got some freeze dried brine shrimp. Put it in the tank and majority of it went into the water intake

Let it soak in a cup of tank water first and it will sink to the bottom. Good job on the brine, did your blenny go after any if it?

I actually have a feeder ring and i just let it soak there. Blenny is out and about more often. but no luck with the snails

This morning i noticed a snail that looks naked and thought it was a nerite snail that left its shell but I'm not sure or is it another type of snail.

It's a stomatella snail. a good hitchhiker from LR. they reproduce like crazy and love climbing under frag disks that are barely glued on :banghead:

I had 2 in my 12G, now there's a good 15-20 tiny specs of baby versions.

NyteGTI said:
It's a stomatella snail. a good hitchhiker from LR. they reproduce like crazy and love climbing under frag disks that are barely glued on :banghead:

I had 2 in my 12G, now there's a good 15-20 tiny specs of baby versions.

Definitely good to know :)

thanks NyteGTI

Jmkb02 said:
So how's that algae and the snails doing? Any better?

I'll have to update you tonight. I'm usually off at school during the week.

Before I left I noticed 4/5 nassarius snails arent moving but I'm pretty sure they aren't dead. One of my nerite seem to be in his shell all the time, possibly dead.

Besides that everything is doing pretty well. Emerald crabs come out at night and they start picking on the hair algae.

I'm may be looking into getting a protein skimmer. Every lfs I go to, they suggest I go and buy a skimmer.

Crystal A said:
As long as you do weekly water changes you don't need a skimmer.

I've been keeping up with my weekly water change.

I feel like I am missing something in my media filtration. Right now all i have is a intank in my first chamber that has filter floss and ceramic rings. Could I throw in some purigen or chemi pure to help out?

I have filter floss, purigen, and chemi-pure elite in that order in my inTank basket

22engine said:
I have filter floss, purigen, and chemi-pure elite in that order in my inTank basket

What size purigen and chemi-pure elite did you get?

So I check my nassarius snails. 3 of them ended up dead. The other three, only one of them is active.

For that size you could get away with the small or medium size bag a chemi-pure and I believe I have the 100ml bag of purigen. It is small but made for a 100 gallons and mines a 29. Those two last a few month to so that's nice thing and they do a good job. That stinks about the nass snails. Maybe not enough to eat or parameters? I know I have these frozen brine shrimp balls I cut in thirds and throw in one piece and all my nass snails come out of the sand bed to eat. Really cool to watch

22engine said:
For that size you could get away with the small or medium size bag a chemi-pure and I believe I have the 100ml bag of purigen. It is small but made for a 100 gallons and mines a 29. Those two last a few month to so that's nice thing and they do a good job. That stinks about the nass snails. Maybe not enough to eat or parameters? I know I have these frozen brine shrimp balls I cut in thirds and throw in one piece and all my nass snails come out of the sand bed to eat. Really cool to watch

Thanks for the advice.

I tried the shrimp brine didnt work for me. I havent see the nassarius snails go in the sand bed yet :(

Back
Top Bottom