Newbie looking for advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AZgirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I am new to aquarium keeping. I recently bought a 30-gallon tall aquarium from craigslist. I’m in the process of cleaning it out and getting it set up. I have been reading about cycling and all the things to set this aquarium up correctly. I plan on taking my time and doing all the research I need to do so that I do this correctly. Here is what I’m thinking:

Equipment:
Aquaclear 50 filter
Fluval M 150 watts heater
Coralife 00232 Digital Thermometer
API Master test kit
CaribSea Eco-Complete 20-lb Planted Aquarium, Black
30 LBS Live Sand Pure White Aragonite - Crystal Reef Brand (I’m thinking I will mix the black and white sand together to make a black and white sand for the substrate)

I want to include some live plants in the aquarium. The aquarium came with a Corelife Aqualight T5 Dual lamp. I’m thinking of some easier plants to start with like Anubias, and Java Fern.

For fish I’m thinking:
2-3 Bolivian ram
5-6 Kuhli loach
6 Harlequin rasbora
1 Guppy

I’m interested in any thoughts you might all have on my current plan. Is there something I’m forgetting or that I should do differently? Like I said I want to take my time with this and make sure I do this right so that I have fewer problems down the road. What suggestions can you give me on my plan.

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your new tank! Everything looks good but you could save a bunch of money if you got pool filter sand instead of the live sand. The aragonite live sand is mostly used for sw and is more expensive than most basic sands. Once again welcome! :)

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your new tank! Everything looks good but you could save a bunch of money if you got pool filter sand instead of the live sand. The aragonite live sand is mostly used for sw and is more expensive than most basic sands. Once again welcome! :)

Can you find pool filter sand that is white in color? I was thinking about the aragonite live sand only because I could get it in white. I like the idea of black and white sand. Is there another white sand I could mix with the black that would be less expensive?

Can you find pool filter sand that is white in color? I was thinking about the aragonite live sand only because I could get it in white. I like the idea of black and white sand. Is there another white sand I could mix with the black that would be less expensive?

I don't think it comes in white but I was looking and petco appears to have a 20 lb bag I white aquarium sand for $18. The reef stuff will also raise your pH.

Yes, aragonite will indeed raise your ph and kh considerably so don't use it.

Back
Top Bottom