Newbie needs help with bloated black moor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishwich

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first post, so I'll give a quick view of my tank. I have 5 black moors in a healthy 30 gallon tank with 3 AquaTech 15 pumps and a bubbler. I only use StressZyme for a treatment and feed tropical flakes and occassionally peas. I have fed carrots, which they love, but I'm not sure how great they are for them. I also give them bloodworms here and there.
There is only 1 out of the 5 that hasn't changed colors. Which I don't entirely get. I've read it may have to do with temp, which is 70-72 degrees.
Mini, the one who has turned completely copper and doesn't look like a black moor any longer, has been laying on the bottom/back of the tank with a very swollen belly, especially one side which is making her spine crooked. She's normally very active/interactive. I noticed the difference yesterday. Today she started pooping. It's really long, thin and clear. She's moving around more. But I don't know if I should worry.

Hi. not sure what is wrong with your sick fish, but 70-72 degrees is a little too warm for moors. they can tolorate higher temps but they are coldwater fish and higher temps will shorten their lifespan, personally I would remove the heater and let the temperature drop slowly. hope you'll get some feedback about the sick fish soon and he/she recovers ok.

Pete

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA. :welcome:

Moved to the FW sick fish forum. More people will see it there.

fishwich said:
This is my first post, so I'll give a quick view of my tank. I have 5 black moors in a healthy 30 gallon tank with 3 AquaTech 15 pumps and a bubbler. I only use StressZyme for a treatment and feed tropical flakes and occassionally peas. I have fed carrots, which they love, but I'm not sure how great they are for them. I also give them bloodworms here and there.
There is only 1 out of the 5 that hasn't changed colors. Which I don't entirely get. I've read it may have to do with temp, which is 70-72 degrees.
Mini, the one who has turned completely copper and doesn't look like a black moor any longer, has been laying on the bottom/back of the tank with a very swollen belly, especially one side which is making her spine crooked. She's normally very active/interactive. I noticed the difference yesterday. Today she started pooping. It's really long, thin and clear. She's moving around more. But I don't know if I should worry.

Sounds like constipation to me! Feed it unshelled peas and leave it to fast for a day or two allowing it to clear it system. U want to avoid feeding flakes! Can cause bloating, and swimming bladder disorder! Constipation is also a sign of overfeeding. How often do u feed and how much? U should feed it 6 days a week and left one day for them to fast! I normally feed them peas the day before they fast!

Welcome Aboard!

First off even in a well filtered 30g tank, 5 Moors is way overstocked, so you can probably expect other llnesses.

Sounds like a possible intestinal bug, but I would suggest feeding them peas (shelled) right away and continue it once a week.

Your temp for the Moors is just fine, as a matter of fact cold temps for goldies in general is incorrect and they live much better/longer lives in 70-74 temp water. They just happen to be fish that "can" live in mid 60 water temps.

As for changing color, goldies do it and there's not much you can do about it. Example: My 2 Moors are still jet black after 4+ years, but my silver fantail is now a panda and changing again after less than a year old.

Mr. Limpet said:
Welcome Aboard!

First off even in a well filtered 30g tank, 5 Moors is way overstocked, so you can probably expect other llnesses.

Sounds like a possible intestinal bug, but I would suggest feeding them peas (shelled) right away and continue it once a week.

Your temp for the Moors is just fine, as a matter of fact cold temps for goldies in general is incorrect and they live much better/longer lives in 70-74 temp water. They just happen to be fish that "can" live in mid 60 water temps.

As for changing color, goldies do it and there's not much you can do about it. Example: My 2 Moors are still jet black after 4+ years, but my silver fantail is now a panda and changing again after less than a year old.

I agree 5 Blackmoor in a 30 gallon is overstocked! But I don't believe it's intestinal bug. Because the symptoms he described are leaning towards constipation.

I agree 5 Blackmoor in a 30 gallon is overstocked! But I don't believe it's intestinal bug. Because the symptoms he described are leaning towards constipation.

Given the white stringy poop and way overstocked tank, I think it's possible. Either way, peas (shelled) is a good place to start and see if it clears up.

Back
Top Bottom