Newbie Needs Test Kit Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chilly Willy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need help with what would be a good test kit for a newbie aquahobbiest like myself.

I started with a pH test kit but found it hard to read so I bought a digital meter that makes my life 100% easier. I've since learned I need to test for other items. I bought a nH3 and nH4 test kit this one is slightly easier to read but I could see myself screwing the readings up on those too.

I would ideally like to get digital meters for all the tests I need to do if they even make them. Any information of meters or a good easy to read beginner test kit would be great.

My lfs had a digital test kit used for $500.00. I'm not sure who makes them though. I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals tests and find them easy to use.

One thing you can do is test with your kit, then have your LFS test and compare readings. As long as your kit gives consistent readings, it will alert you to changes in water chemistry. Once your tank is cycled and stable, the changes are what you have to watch for. It is a good idea to keep a simple log with readings and notations on any changes you make to the tank, such as adding fish. :D

Yes just the slightest color change means different numbers and that makes it hard for me to read.

I do not want to fix something if it's not broken just because I can't read colors properly 8O

I like Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kits. They are the easiest to use and read from the ones I've seen. But it's not just you :wink: sometimes it can be hard to tell what color the tube is. For me, I find that it's easier to stand the tube on a white surface or background, and look at it from a few feet away. Make sure the room is well-lit, like Malkore said.

I had my tube sitting on the white cooktop in the kitchen while the timer was running. I came into the kitchen when the timer went off and I started to reach for the tube and the card to hold them up to my eyes when I noticed that I could see the color perfectly as the tube was sitting there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom