Newbie, new tank,and questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mannymouse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone!
I got a betta fish a couple of weeks ago and have him in a two gallon hexagon shaped tank (I can post a pic if we need one), that does not have a heater or a filter. My betta seems really active but sometimes I worry that it's too much.. He like to hangout in a corner and swim really fast up and back down deeper into the tank like he is attacking his reflection. I've tried changing the tank to a different one, adding more plants, and changing the where the light Is and even turning off the lights sometimes but he doesn't stop. He only stops once in a while and goes right back to being a normal fish lol. Is there anything else I can do? Should I be getting a new tank?

On an unrelated note, do you recommend having a filter or heater for a betta and tank of this size? The tank goes from a temp of about 72.3 degrees to 77 when the light on the tank is on. I also change the completely once a week. I have heard about doing a 50% water change once a week instead but how would you clean the gravel substrate at the bottom without disturbing my betta too much?

Thanks for the help and sorry for all of the questions :p I just want to make sure my fish stays happy and healthy.

About your betta's activity, the attacking of his own reflection is perfectly normal. My betta did the same thing, they just like to fight themselves i guess! :p I would recommend a small filter just to circulate the water and oxygenate the tank. Good luck with the tank!

That's what I thought :) thank you! And I'll definitely look into getting a filter. Any recommended brands that aren't too expensive?

Back
Top Bottom