Newbie Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mystair13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking at some tank photos I noticed that some tanks have a black box usually attached to the back wall. Is this an overflow box and do the tubing for a filter attach to the bottom of the box? If so, does this look better than having tubes showing in the tank?

yes, the black box is an overflow. There is usually a stand pipe and pressure line inside the overflow for the input/output of the tank. There are two holes drilled in the bottom glass for the pipes and they are then connected to a sump (another tank for equipments and things of that nature underneath the main display). I think it looks better to have an overflow and i like having a sump underneath to be able to hide equipment as well as add water volume to the tank.

That is the way I am leaning but just wanted to make sure that is what it was. I was also going to have a reservoir tank next to my wet/dry filter to help maintain water levels.

Being new I am not completely sure how to set this up. There are two holes on the bottom, I am assuming one for intake and one for return. Are there tubes that actually connect to these holes on the top side? If anyone has any pictures to I can see what it looks like before I start purchasing plumbing as I am a "pictures" kind of guy. I can figure anything by looking at a picture rather than words only. Thanks for any help.

Back
Top Bottom