Newbie question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

connorilles14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have just purchased my first aquarium and am ready to get things started. It's only a 10 g for starters since I want to take things slow and Learn before upgrading to a bigger tank. Anyways I was looking for some suggestions for some interesting starter fish that would be cool to have. Also I'm I'm just wondering if a water heater is absolutely needed. I didn't buy one because I'm tight on cash until my next pay. Can I get by without getting one or is it something crucial to get?

He tank is going to be set up on my bedroom, so I would consider it to be a fairly stable temperature

Congrats on your first aquarium! You'll love it :) It's an amazing experience and very relaxing when done correctly. Contrary to popular belief, larger aquariums are actually easier to maintain than smaller aquariums, because with a larger volume of water, a small mistake means less of an impact on the water quality of the entire system I started with a 10g as well though, and have nothing against it!
First off, not sure if you know about cycling, but here are a couple articles to get you started:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-jus...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html (I realize this one is geared towards people who already have fish but it still has great info, especially if you plan to do a fish-in cycle)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/tips-and-tricks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/

With a 10g tank, your options are pretty limited, but there are still lots if wonderful fish you can own happily. I see it as basically two ways to go: if you would like to stick with less expensive, more common, easier to find, easier to care for fish I would suggest looking into guppies, endlers livebearers, some smaller tetras like neons, shrimp (ghosts, amano, cherry), and snails (nerite and mystery)

Although if you would like to keep fish that are more unique, harder to find, and consequently more pricey (usually requires ordering online) you could look into some of these nano fish:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389119144.275765.jpg

Heaters are grossly overpriced at the pet store. Check online. You only need a 50W for a tank that size. I used a Visitherm in my little tank and it was a great little heater. $13 on Amazon. It may save you many a headache. Little tanks are going to swing more as the room temp swings. Unless you have a 74-degrees at all times all year house, I wouldn't count on room heat.

You have to learn about nitrogen cycle, so it's good that you take your time before introducing fishs.

For the heater, it's always good to have one, as it prevents temps swings. No need for a heater for cold water fishs.

For a 10g, you can put some nano hardy fishs... You can go with only one betta too, but if something is wrong with the water, the betta won't tell you and will still thrive... Maybe shrimps or snails or ampullar interest you ?

Can you tell us the parameters of your water ? You can go to your LFS if you don't want to invest in a water test kit. We need to know the KH and GH of your tap... Maybe the PH of tap water sitting in a glass for 24 hours can be great too... You just bring a bottle of water to the LFS and they'll test GH KH.

Platies are great for 10g too... To begin you'll really want hardy species... Or maybe you want to go for some more delicates species like tetras...

You'll learn faster with tetra, you know when they're not happy. They swim everywhere/hide if not happy, or simply dies. One day you'll wash all your filter media under tap, and one week after you'll find your fishs dead, so you'll learn from this mistake -.-

Here's what you need: 10-20g filter, 10g tank, cheap light (timer if you want), heater (optionnal except for tropical species), substrate (go with something that look natural, you'll become bored over time of a pink or blue substrate), decorations or hiding places for your fishs, airpump is a great accessory but optionnal...

You'll need some products... I suggest you take dechlorinator (nutrafin aqua+) BB in bottle (Nutrafin Cycle)... You'll need food flake of frozen depending on the species you choose

I would just start my cycle and by the time it finishes you should be able to pick up a heater from Walmart for like 10-15 bucks. Your cycle will take a few weeks or so, so it shouldn't be hard to save for that. While it's cycling just google 10g fish or do some window shopping so you will know what to stock it with once the cycle completes.

Wow, thanks everyone for the fast response! I had no clue that I had to cycle my tank! I'm hoping to get everything up and running by the weekend and start my cycling! The only thing I'm a little unsure of is how do I know when my tank is cycled and ready for fish? Also I don't know if it's a good idea it not but I would like to add maybe a small live plant if some kind. Anything I need to know about that?

You need a test kit. They are like 30 bucks at pet stores but usually cheaper online. They also have test strips which are cheaper but aren't always accurate. You have to add some source of ammonia to cycle it for the bacteria to grow. A piece of shrimp or fish food will work just do some research on it. It's cycled when ammonia is zero nitrites are zero and nitrates are over 5ppm. Plants are a good idea if you have enough lighting to support them. Java moss is a good low light plant to start with. Make sure you cycle and your fish will appreciate once you are able to get them.

Also I don't know if it's a good idea it not but I would like to add maybe a small live plant if some kind. Anything I need to know about that?

Yeah that's a very good idea, but you require more knowing about this. Plants need Light, CO2, ferts. Under low light, plants require low CO2 and low ferts, under high light, more co2, and more ferts. (ferts = fertilizer).

If you bought a kit with only one t8 bulb, then you'll only can have low lights plants like anubias or java ferns.

Maybe if you have a kit with dual t8 lights, then you'll be able to grow something more cool like valliniserias

Plants create hiding place for fish.. and add O2 to the water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom