Newbie to plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pstuder33

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone, I want to start adding plants to my aquarium. It's a 20 gallon neutral ph stocked with:
1 pearl gourami
1 opline gourami
1 Molly
8 neon tetras
2 male swordtails
1 clown pleco
1 african dwarf frog

I have a fluval c3 HOB filter on it.
The light is just a standard fluorescent light. It has eco complete substrate in it. I assume I will be only able to grow low light plants. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!!!!

It seems that your tank is a bit overstocked. Both the pleco and pearl gourami should have a 30g tank minimum. There will also likely be aggression issues between your gourami.

As for the plants, youre right. Low light ones will work for you.

Anubias, crypts, bolbitis, java moss, and java fern are your best candidates.

I do plan on getting a bigger tank within the year. The gouramis aren't too aggressive to each other, I've had them both for a couple months. I also do water changes often to keep the quality up bc I know it is getting pretty stocked. Thanks for the advice

I do plan on getting a bigger tank within the year. The gouramis aren't too aggressive to each other, I've had them both for a couple months. I also do water changes often to keep the quality up bc I know it is getting pretty stocked. Thanks for the advice

low light plants, lots on the BST section right now. +1 to your tank being overstocked, do you own a API master kit? the aggression levels WILL pick up as the fish get older.

Yes I do have the API master kit and test the water often. Anmonia and nitrites are always at 0 and keep up on water changes so nitrates stay below 15ppm

Back
Top Bottom