Newbie to using sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, get the sand, why not? If it sits in a bag in the shop or at your house, it makes no difference, and you'll have one thing checked off the list. You could bucket it and give it a good rinse now, then only a little rinse when you're ready to use it. Wait for the floss since you've gone to the trouble of ordering it, then you'll be set to go. Excited for you! Can't wait to see photos!

Yeah think I'm going to sainsburys tomorrow so ill pick a bag up. Yeah ill give it a good rinse and let sit in the bucket and then rinse again when I'm ready to use it! I payed extra for delivery on the floss so 1-2 days! I'm really excited too! Ill be sure to add before and afters! Ill take some pics just as I add it then when it's clear also! Should I just add them to this thread?

Sure! Will be excellent to see your progress. Good luck!

Hey, just occurred to me while reading another thread, you're in Southampton, you could try find some drift wood along the coast down there! You'll have to boil it, scrub it, soak it etc but that's far better than spending a small fortune on a bit of wood from the shops/eBay.

Hey, just occurred to me while reading another thread, you're in Southampton, you could try find some drift wood along the coast down there! You'll have to boil it, scrub it, soak it etc but that's far better than spending a small fortune on a bit of wood from the shops/eBay.

I was thinking about that actually, but didnt know about the risks etc it may carry! I'm a 10minute walk from the closest beach so maybe ill talk a walk down there one day and find something! Thanks for the idea!

You'll have to make sure it's hardwood. I remember seeing a thread/website/SOMETHING out there explaining how you can tell the difference. See if google answers the question, if not, I'm sure someone knows!

You'll have to make sure it's hardwood. I remember seeing a thread/website/SOMETHING out there explaining how you can tell the difference. See if google answers the question, if not, I'm sure someone knows!

Yeah I'll defiantly look into it! If not ill have to find something online! Do you have any in your tanks? Never seem your tanks, any pics?

Sure! Here's my 250ltr community tank, and my 120 litre goldfish tank.

Attachments

• image-1256049918.jpg
    image-1256049918.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 65
  • image-2138560245.jpg
    image-2138560245.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 69
Both look great! Not thought of putting sand in community tank?;) also maybe som mid-bottom fish?

Ha, lol, yeah the tank is technically my husbands so he set it up. There are mid and bottom dwellers, I just approached the tank so they all go to the top in search of food. If I stuck around for a minute or two they'd have all gone back to whatever they were doing before.
Post yours!

Ha, lol, yeah the tank is technically my husbands so he set it up. There are mid and bottom dwellers, I just approached the tank so they all go to the top in search of food. If I stuck around for a minute or two they'd have all gone back to whatever they were doing before.
Post yours!

Ohh okay! Yeah! Will do, it's pretty empty right now lol, waiting for fry to get big enough before I add anything else!

Attachments

• image-981316556.jpg
    image-981316556.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 60
  • image-814415545.jpg
    image-814415545.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 66
  • image-2454879851.jpg
    image-2454879851.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 56
That's a great looking tank! Is that the one you're putting sand in? It's going to look fab!

I've had great success with plants and play sand as long as the pots are removed to those that think otherwise.

I use silica sand in my tanks if they have sand. It's cheap, $8 per 100 pounds. It has a nice white color, but not too white. It also has a larger grain size, so cleaning it before you put it in the tank goes fast, and if a fish sifts through it, like my mollies, it doesn't get kicked up. I really like it!

I use silica sand in my tanks if they have sand. It's cheap, $8 per 100 pounds. It has a nice white color, but not too white. It also has a larger grain size, so cleaning it before you put it in the tank goes fast, and if a fish sifts through it, like my mollies, it doesn't get kicked up. I really like it!

I did look into this, it's quite expensive here in the UK compared to play sand! Ill give play sand a go, if it doesn't work ill have to spend a bit more money and get pool filter sand!

Back
Top Bottom