Newbie trying to get a tank started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SPAIN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What do I need to do in order for a couple of java ferns and /or moss to grow in my tank. i have chosen these plants due to the low light conditions that will exist in my tank.

You need substrate for plants. Maybe CO2 fertilization regular fertilization. Also check to make sure java's are low light, I thought they required moderate to high level light. Moss, I don't know about moss, if you mean algae then it will develop if there is suffcient light, but the plants might out compete the algae. What kind of lighting do you have?

Java ferns don't need substrate James; you can anchor them to rocks or driftwood as Roger said. They are also low light plants as well, although I would suggest at least 1 watt per gallon. Java Moss can either be left floating or also attached to driftwood or rock. It too doesn't need a lot of light.

Java ferns are a very easy plant to move about your tank, as Alli and Roger said you can leave them to float or anchor it to your bogwood or rocks and within a couple of weeks it will have hold.
It doesn't need much light, my light on the tank at home packed up a little while back and i couldn't get a replacement for 2 weeks, and in that time my java fern still kept growing with just natural day light.

Java Moss and Fern don't need CO2 or even extra ferts. They are pretty much the easiest plants out there to care for. Try attaching it to a rock or driftwood with some cotton thread. Eventually the thread will deteriorate but the roots will have attached themselves by that point. It would be best to have flourescent light, though I have heard they will still grow with incandescent light.

Thank you for your replies. I will try and get some pics once the tank is all the way up and running.

I have a 29 gallon eclipse tank and hood system that I am trying to get up and running. The only thing that is holding me back is finishing the stand. Apparently the earth has rearranged itself so that North Carolina is where Seattle, Wa was. It has rained for the last 3.5 days and I have been unable to stain my stand.

Back
Top Bottom