Newbie with a mystery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LauraF

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks, I'm pretty new at fish keeping and it's proving really difficult! I rehomed some beautiful fishes from a friend who no longer had the time to care for them. I've been trying to stock my tank, and within the past week I've had a series of deaths, and I'm so stressed and upset for the poor fishes.

Okay so first up my tank is 125litres, sand bottomed, planted. Temperature is 25 degrees. I use a fluval 3plus filter. The tank was set up in january with all decoration/plants and cycled for 10 days before I added any fish, and in went 1 large male swordtail, 6 neon tetras, 5 zebra danios and a red spotted snail.

A week later I added 2 male guppies, 3 endler guppies and 3 albino corys

A week after that we added 4 rummy nose tetra, a ghost shrimp and 2 more swordtails - which I later found out the pet store misinformed me about.

Over the past week I have lost one male guppy,2 endlers, a neon, both of the new swordtails. And my other male guppy looks unwell. I have attached a photo of my guppy and another of my overall set up. Yesterday the guppy seemed completely fine and was swimming about like the rest of the fish, and today he has parts of his tail missing.

I had separated my swordtails as the pet store told me I could have 2 males and 1 female.....But the male died.....he was harassed by the other male and I now know you can't have 2 males.

First up I saw the shrimp eating one of the endlers, so I called the pet store who advised they eat weak/ dead fish. The other endler has just vanished. And my neon had his whole tail removed and I caught the shrimp in the act again, i read it can nip sleeping fishes tails....so I removed the shrimp and put it in its own tank (on Sunday) i would of given it back to the pet shop, they said they would take it back, but my son is rather attached to it. All my other fish seemed healthy at this point, ate well, no fighting.

Yesterday my first male guppy was found at the bottom of the tank kind of gasping, with huge chunks missing from his tail. I separated him and put him into the nursery net but he died about an hour later. All other fish seemed well.

This morning my female swordtail was dead, no fins missing, not a mark on her, just dead :(

Then this afternoon my other male guppy, well see the picture below, he's at the top gasping with parts missing from his tail....again all my other fish seem fine?

Nothing new has been added or changed, I feed them daily with flake food, removing excess after 2 mins.

I have an API test kit and here are today's results
pH 7.0
Ammonia - it's between 0 and .25ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom