newbie with questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jscheff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We received my son's 29 gallon aquarium, there are 4 fish, not sure what kind they are, we are having a very hard time keeping the tank clean, we have never had a fish tank before, we seem to be cleaning the filters every couple of days, we have 5 filters on this, we are using the Tetra whisper. Need help to figure out how to keep this tank clean.

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 108
Those look like Goldfish. Those fish will live a long time. I had mine roughly 20 years. I would suggest a canister filter: since you have Goldfish I would get an Eheim 2215 or Fluval 406. Put some aquatic plants in there: Anacharis, Duckweed, or one pond Lilly. Change the water punctually, I would change 50% a week and vacuum the gravel. In the future, I would consider a bigger tank like a 75 gallon because those two fish will grow big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second the canister filter. I switched from a tetra whisper to an eheim and I will never change back! It's less filter cleaning hassle and quieter. The price was the only hesitant I had but it certainly outweighs replacing filters/carbon every few weeks. I also learned through research here and experience that you can never have too much filtration. I have a 46 gallon and just bought a pump for a 150 gallon. In this case bigger is always better, especially with goldfish who tend to have a high bioload.

If you also chose to not do plants for whatever reason, I would suggest an air stone to keep the water moving, plus fish like to play in it lol. I would also second the plants even plastic ones for hiding places. Fish tend to not like big open spaces.

Also do you have a heater for your fish?

Keep at it :] those are some nice looking fish!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thank you both so much for your help, we did find a 75 gallon tank which has made a huge difference, fish are happier and so are we:)

Did you upgrade your filter?
Don't clean the filters completely you will lose your beneficial bacteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom