The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm thinking about another option which is a cichlid tank, which region should I stick with, how many, are they compatible with a bn pleco and some cories?

A 30 gallon isnt really big enough for a lot of cichlid types, but you could probably have some shell dwellers or a Keyhole or two. Rams and angelfish are also a type of Cichlid and you could definitely put some of those in a 30.

And another option, just trying I explore my options and planning in advance, but how many bala sharks could fit in

What stones would be great for the stock in getting later, I already have mopani wood for my bn pleco but do my tiger barbs need something to lay ragged on?

I'm referring to tufa stone and I wanna know why a 4" piece cost $90!!!:( this may sound crazy, but how many tiger oscars can live in a ten gallon TENPORARILY?! I WILL UPGRADE THE TANK WHEN TEY GET TO ABOUT 3-4" each! I'm only thinking about getting ONE and let it have a 55 gallon with an albino one in the future!

Also, I saw some kuhli loaches and rainbow sharks, I'm new to them so I don't know anything about them besides their appearance! So please tell me as much as you can about the basics( temper, schooling?, size, aggressive, and more)!;) thanks a lot in advance!!!

Any one know what fish this is, looks cool at my lfs!:)

Attachments

• image-3750265707.jpg
    image-3750265707.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 41
aquaplanner said:
What stones would be great for the stock in getting later, I already have mopani wood for my bn pleco but do my tiger barbs need something to lay ragged on?

Tiger barbs are free swimmers and enjoy having interesting structure but don't need anything special.

aquaplanner said:
I'm referring to tufa stone and I wanna know why a 4" piece cost $90!!!:( this may sound crazy, but how many tiger oscars can live in a ten gallon TENPORARILY?! I WILL UPGRADE THE TANK WHEN TEY GET TO ABOUT 3-4" each! I'm only thinking about getting ONE and let it have a 55 gallon with an albino one in the future!

IMO this is not a good idea at all. If fish are put into a small tank right away, they will become stunted. This is when their outside stops growing but their organs continue to grow making it a very painful and slow death. Also 2 oscars in a 55 is a huge nono. Unless added at the same time they will fight and kill each other. Also if you wanted to keep 2 oscars you would need at least a 100 gallon tank just for those 2 fish.

aquaplanner said:
Also, I saw some kuhli loaches and rainbow sharks, I'm new to them so I don't know anything about them besides their appearance! So please tell me as much as you can about the basics( temper, schooling?, size, aggressive, and more)!;) thanks a lot in advance!!!

Kuhli loaches- like groups and are fine in tanks as small as 30-35 gallons. These are peaceful fish and really almost need a sand substrate 100% of the time because of their habits to burrow.

Rainbow shark- a singular aggressive fish. If added to a community it must be at least a 55 gallon tank and it has to be the last fish added. These are aggressive and will pick territories and guard them. Not a good idea for fragile fish.

Im planning to get 8 tiger barbs, 1 bn pleco, three panda cories, and 1 dwarf gourami or 3 kuhli loaches. Loaches or gourami?

Im planning to get 8 tiger barbs, 1 bn pleco, three panda cories, and 1 dwarf gourami or 3 kuhli loaches. Loaches or gourami?

I wouldn't try a Gourami with Tiger Barbs; could spell trouble for the Gourami.

Corys need a larger group and your bottom may be crowded with the Pleco and Loaches if you get them. Kuhlis do best in a group of 5. The Pleco would need some driftwood to munch on.

Do you know about cycling? Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I forgot to ask, what size tank are you getting?

Also, my 2 BN plecos are almost never on the bottom of my tank always on my driftwood or glass. This might be my tank only though. So it's possible they may crowd your other fish once they get to full size.

I agree with librarygirl a gourami would be bad especially with tiger barbs.

I'm planing to get a 29 gallon tank with the original filter and canister. I already have mopani wood for he bn pleco from my 10 gallon so I'll just transfer it. So should I get the 3 panda cories or the 5 kuhli loaches? I know that I need to cycle before fretting them. I'm going to take my old bio media and place it with the new filter and add the mopani wood, and some plants.

Could you please answer my prior questions, would help a lot, thanks :)

aquaplanner said:
I'm planing to get a 29 gallon tank with the original filter and canister. I already have mopani wood for he bn pleco from my 10 gallon so I'll just transfer it. So should I get the 3 panda cories or the 5 kuhli loaches? I know that I need to cycle before fretting them. I'm going to take my old bio media and place it with the new filter and add the mopani wood, and some plants.

Even with placing your new media into your filter. You will still possibly have a mini cycle when you add the new fish because not enough BB has built up yet. A good test kit and water changes are the solution to this. Also you have to add your new stock slowly so your filter can catch up.

The stocking is entirely up to you. If you are planning on doing a substrate other then sand then the cories are the best way to go. Sand for this tank though is a good idea. IMO cories are the best option.

So the current plan is
8 tiger barbs
1 BN pleco
3 panda cories

You could try some free swimmers like zebra danios or something else (throw out some ideas). Just nothing with long fins because the barbs will tear them up.

How many ghost shrimp would fit in with the stock? Will they be eaten?

aquaplanner said:
Will tiger barbs nip the java ferns and anubius?

Nope. I have mine with those same plants. They were interested at first and after 2 hrs I never saw them on them again. Don't worry if they look like they are eating it, they really aren't.

Back
Top Bottom