The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

go_buckeyes13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all......I am new to this site. I've been reading many post the last few days and decided to join. My parents had a fish tank when I was young and I have always wanted one myself.

Last summer while swimming in my grandmothers pool we found a baby Eastern Painted Turtle. We brought it home to to make sure it didn't die and nothing else happend to it. I bought a decent size tank for it and it has lived alone since.

I've been doing a lot of research about turtles and fish in the same tank. From everything I've seen and read I believe it will work.

I have slowly bought everything I needed to get the tank started. It has been completely opperational for about 2 weeks now. Water is very clear, turtle loves the space and hiding spots. My problem is I bought a test kit. The one with the strips, everything shows perfect except the last 2. Total alkalinity and Ph are off the charts.

I have tried to add the PH reducer, I changed half the water with distilled water. I added a piec of driftwood.

I've read so many different posts, some saying fish will adapt others say high PH will kill them.

I am new to aquarium and I hope someone can help me...

Thanks

Hello all......I am new to this site. I've been reading many post the last few days and decided to join. My parents had a fish tank when I was young and I have always wanted one myself.

Last summer while swimming in my grandmothers pool we found a baby Eastern Painted Turtle. We brought it home to to make sure it didn't die and nothing else happend to it. I bought a decent size tank for it and it has lived alone since.

I've been doing a lot of research about turtles and fish in the same tank. From everything I've seen and read I believe it will work.

I have slowly bought everything I needed to get the tank started. It has been completely opperational for about 2 weeks now. Water is very clear, turtle loves the space and hiding spots. My problem is I bought a test kit. The one with the strips, everything shows perfect except the last 2. Total alkalinity and Ph are off the charts.

I have tried to add the PH reducer, I changed half the water with distilled water. I added a piec of driftwood.

I've read so many different posts, some saying fish will adapt others say high PH will kill them.

I am new to aquarium and I hope someone can help me...

Thanks
Hi and welcome to AA. Sorry I can't advice you on turtles and fish together but I would advise you to get a liquid test kit. The strips are notoriously inaccurate. You could be trying to fix a problem that might not be there or be as bad as you think....

Back
Top Bottom