Newbies: should they comment on threads???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ha yes some of YOU, have taken a lot of your personal time to help me. It's highly appreciated.
I love the plant package?? I don't know the names of them, I especially like the wavy/twisted one. I did add pics in my profile for you to see. ??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like when the plants others have given me go elsewhere! That vesuvias sword came from a member named old scales, he s legendary in my book, unfortunately he is having some health issues at the moment, hopefully he'll be back around soon. Anyways.. that plant is now in % 15 of this country!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you're benefitting from the forum, it's only right that you contribute! Newbies sometimes have happened upon newer information while the more experienced people are working off long held beliefs that work intermittently.

I remember people in a betta specific forum, insisting any tank under 5 gallons couldn't be cycled. I'd just done it repeatedly with 1 and 3 gallons but it was a commonly held belief for so long ....

I'm new ish here but I comment on what I feel confident in ... Cycling, certain pH/GH/KH issues, bettas ...

And I do my best to choose my words carefully so as not to imply a solid fact. Very little here is known for sure.

I also find that sometimes I can help when everyone who answered so far probably misunderstood the OPs question, or if I can tell the OP needs to provide more info before other more experienced people can answer.

I also like to post "I read this idea that might help if it's true, maybe go research that."

But buyer beware ... I see many newbies saying "oh what they're telling you about --- (water changes, overstocking) --- can be safely ignored." When than person posted a week or two ago about sick fish in their own tank (which is overstocked or doesn't get enough water changes).

When someone says "I break this rule with no problem" I'd check their post history.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is good to post and be involved- but they have to be willing to listen to what experienced people have told them and not flip out and get upset if someone (or multiple people) corrects them. I've seen some people who don't like the answer/reply so they start a new thread/comment trying to get people to side with them.

With every novice/newb there will be mistakes - we've all been there- but sometimes sharing that "I am an idiot" "this is my horror story" comment will help someone else who is newer than they are

You have to learn somehow :?

Of course!

I am newish myself, but I really only comment on things that I know about or that I Have a question about something mentioned in the thread. I think (and hope) that vast majority of people do the same.

I think it is good to post and be involved- but they have to be willing to listen to what experienced people have told them and not flip out and get upset if someone (or multiple people) corrects them. I've seen some people who don't like the answer/reply so they start a new thread/comment trying to get people to side with them.

With every novice/newb there will be mistakes - we've all been there- but sometimes sharing that "I am an idiot" "this is my horror story" comment will help someone else who is newer than they are

You have to learn somehow :?

Agreed!!!!!

Thanks so much for all who have contributed so far. I think this question will help us to get a better idea of how the people in this site are and ways that different people feels works or doesn't work. I will probably be more willing to contribute now after reading and seeing that even those of you who have been at this for a while still have interest in what we have to say. That's cool.

I think also something to consider is if someone who is new posts bad advice they might not realize. All fish gave different temperaments. So that newb that says a betta is ok with guppies might have gotten a really docile betta so they think it is the norm.

Some people are kinda rude when correcting too- so I think we have to take a step back when correcting and maybe point out they were lucky and it isn't normal instead of flipping out on them. (Sorry it is semi-off topic but I've seen it a lot lately)

I think in general it needs open-ness from everyone involved and everyone will learn from each other. Even people in the hobby can learn a new trick or different way to do something

I think also something to consider is if someone who is new posts bad advice they might not realize. All fish gave different temperaments. So that newb that says a betta is ok with guppies might have gotten a really docile betta so they think it is the norm.

Some people are kinda rude when correcting too- so I think we have to take a step back when correcting and maybe point out they were lucky and it isn't normal instead of flipping out on them. (Sorry it is semi-off topic but I've seen it a lot lately)

I think in general it needs open-ness from everyone involved and everyone will learn from each other. Even people in the hobby can learn a new trick or different way to do something

I completely agree! Well said.

You're right, that has been happening a bit on the forum recently. But assuming you haven't seen the original conversations between people it really boils down to a previous statement that you said.

The overwhelming majority of the time the posts between people are very cordial and polite then one of the involved partied goes the exact same route you described and things just go downhill from there. This is exactly what's happened in all of the hostile threads I've seen recently.

It's the "I don't care I'm doing it anyway" stance that people have been taking here recently.

Yeah- I've seen it a lot more recently than I have in the past!! Especially with the advanced fish species threads

+1

Fishobsessed7

Angela, I'd say it's on topic. Your giving a great example. It's a subject I have researched on Google and found very conflicting information. I chose to follow the info that it's a bad idea as it made more sense. I wanted a little desktop and thought a beta with another fish would help the beta not be so blah, and be able to see and enjoy the beauty in these fish. Anyway, no beta or desktop here. Just a 20 long and a 29.

The overwhelming majority of the time the posts between people are very cordial and polite then one of the involved partied goes the exact same route you described and things just go downhill from there. This is exactly what's happened in all of the hostile threads I've seen recently.

It's the "I don't care I'm doing it anyway" stance that people have been taking here recently.

It does seem to be a fairly popular trend lately as if they're trying to rewrite a book. Just because it'll get published doesn't mean it'll be a best seller, have anyone show up for a signing, or even be put on a shelf.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Of course!

I am newish myself, but I really only comment on things that I know about or that I Have a question about something mentioned in the thread. I think (and hope) that vast majority of people do the same.

Ive been in the hobby for 15 years and try to do the same :)

Today is my one year anniversary starting this hobby. I have learned a lot from reading and still read all the time. I still consider myself an amateur and usually just enjoy lurking.

This is such a great topic! As a newbie myself, I often want to contribute to but feel unsure so I haven't yet. But I think I would if I found the right topic, but I would probably just offer my own personal experience. This site has been so interesting and helpful to me I want to contribute. Hey...I just realized, I am right now! Wuhoo!

Back
Top Bottom