newest issue in the saga

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

veggievettech

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yeaterday was cause for celebration because my cycle is finally over (woo-hoo!). I had a rough start... ammonia killed 3 out of 4 fish. I had one courageous Molly that stuck it out and lived through the whole nine week process of constant water changes.
Now, my water is testing normal: 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, 20 ppm nitrate, pH 7.5 . I nearly had a party for my tank :D
Of course, starting yesterday, my molly isn't acting himself. He's lethargic, sitting at the bottom of the tank (which he never does), decreased appetite. There are no outward signs of disease.
I am SUPER frustrated that my water is now perfect and he decides to get sick. I'm so attached to his cute little personality and his perseverance.
I'm at a loss. Is it possible that he was so accustomed to the toxins that he's now having trouble adjusting? Does that even make sense?!
For a minute I was considering trying a "quick cure" antibiotic treatment as a last ditch effort if he didn't improve, but do I really want to risk killing the good bacteria that I just spent nine long weeks growing??
This is more of just a place to vent, but if anyone has experienced anything like this before, I'd like to know what happened. :(
Thanks!

You need to consider investing in a tank just set aside for use as a hospital tank so if one of your fish does get sick and needs to be set apart, they have their own tank to be placed in. I'm not sure what could be his problem. If he survived the cycling process then that is good and I can't imagine he was "used to" the toxins and now that they aren't there that is what is hurting him. I would just keep an eye and if he does't seem to be improving or developing outward signs that would tell you what he has I would move him to a smaller hospital tank. You can't really dose with meds until you know what you are dealing with anyway and some things can be cured using a heat method instead of medicines. So, maybe someone on here with more experience with Mollies can help :) Good luck!

I'd avoid medicine if you don't know what's wrong, since it could stress out the fish even more. Try something like bloodworms or brine shrimp, and see if you can get him to eat. I think he'll pull through. I'm not sure how this'll work out, but maybe you could try getting another molly to see if that helps.

If the molly has been in the tank the whole cycle it is very likely that there is permanent damage. The gills and other vital organs are effected by ammonia and nitrates.

krap101 is right about having a hospital tank, some medicines can kill the good bacteria you have worked so hard to establish. A hospital tank needs a filter an and adjustable heater it could even be a 5 gallon bucket you use for your aquarium. A hosptial tank can double as a QT as well so you don't introduce any disease in your primary tank.

Since it is a molly try some shelled pea, it could be just constipated. Make sure you take out any food that isn't eaten because it could start a mini cycle is you only have the one fish.

All good suggestions, thank you. I have a 10 gal tank I can use as a hospital for the time being.
This afternoon I noticed a symptom. I checked him as soon as I got home and he has a red spot on his eye. I looks like a blood vessel on his eyeball.
I can't say for sure if it is bulging. His eyes always protruded a little, like molly eyes do. I tried to get a photo, but none of them came out clear.
The research that I've done (in the last 30 mins lol) seems to point toward bacterial infection. What do you think?

several hours later...
eyes are definitely buldging and his gills look inflamed. Is this popeye?
I moved him into my hospital tank... I got a box of maracyn 2 at the recommendation of the LFS (with reluctance). Has there been any success with this product? Will salt and heat help?

It sounds like popeye, I haven't had much luck treating popeye but I think you have to try. I do know many years ago I kept mollies in a brackish tank, now most are kept in freshwater.

Back
Top Bottom