Nikachus 37 Gallon Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is my tank fully stocked or should I not put anything else? I was wondering wether i can get an urchin or green mandarin. Later on the way

Your ph is ok it's a bit high but nothing to worry about urchins need algae and the mandarin need tons of pods which your hermits will wipe out rather quickly I would say your pretty well maxed on stock.

Is my tank fully stocked or should I not put anything else? I was wondering wether i can get an urchin or green mandarin. Later on the way

Haha you have such a long time to figure that out! Personally I didn't plan my stock until the time came and even now it's still changing. It's nice to have a general idea of what you want, but really take your time and be patient! :)

Patience is the key to saltwater aquariums! I say wait at least a month or so. If the fw tests you found don't work, maybe your LFS will test your water for you. You can always change stock ideas later. :)

It suggested that to have a mandarin goby, you need a tank with at least 75 lbs of live rock that has been established no less than a year and a half. They're really pretty fish, but they should be left in the ocean IMO. They're hard to feed and keep alive. Most dragonets are that way. (Mandarin goby isn't really a goby, it's a dragonet.)

:( A minor setback save your salt water and just seal the leak and refill

Agreed! You can put everything in your tank in that bin with a power head and then reseal the tank. Basically your making the bin a tank until your actual tank is ready to be used again.

Agreed! You can put everything in your tank in that bin with a power head and then reseal the tank. Basically your making the bin a tank until your actual tank is ready to be used again.
Yah pretty much the good new i I've been cycling and my ammonia is 0! My nitrates are 1.0(I will do a pwc) and my ph is a mix of 8.0 to 9.0

image-1586261286.jpg

My ammonia 0

image-1349668272.jpg

I can lower the nitrates with a pwc

image-791699005.jpg
How do you lower ph? Mines around 8.0&9.0

Your Ph is fine theres no need for it to be lower It will rise and fall through the day/night cycle

I am pretty sure that you need another ph kit or colour card, my API ones are called high range ph. Don't do a PWC you are looking at a nitrite result, not nitrates. Do you have a kit for nitrates?

No like Bectan said you need to test for nitrAtes the last stage of the nitrogen cycle. When you start to add fish GO SLOWLY no more then 1 every two weeks this will give your bacti base time to catch up to the new bio load.
I know it's hard but the worst thing you can do is rush things in this hobby :banghead: It's taken me 13 years and i still dont have my tank where i want it to be

No like Bectan said you need to test for nitrAtes the last stage of the nitrogen cycle. When you start to add fish GO SLOWLY no more then 1 every two weeks this will give your bacti base time to catch up to the new bio load.
I know it's hard but the worst thing you can do is rush things in this hobby :banghead: It's taken me 13 years and i still dont have my tank where i want it to be

What if its a pair? Like a pistol shrimp and ywg

No, your tank isn't cycled. You need to test for nitrates. Looking at your nitrite test I see that's spiking so you still have a little way to go.

What if its a pair? Like a pistol shrimp and ywg

When i do a pair i have a PWC at the ready in case of a spike in ammonia. Inverts add so little to the bio load that's there's little worry of a spike. You can add more than one fish at a time but you will need to test for any spikes

I'd wait to make sure the tank is cycled- it doesn't look like it is yet. And also- you probably want to make sure that the reseal you do is good and doesn't leak anymore before you get fish. Here's how I would handle it- I'd move everything into the bin, reseal the tank and give it however long to dry that the directions on the sealant say. Next I would refill the tank and put everything back in. Wait 24-48 hours to make sure it doesn't leak again. Then I'd test the water to see how the cycle is going. I wouldn't bother testing again until your tank is sealed and good to go. When your tank's cycle is finally over and you do a big water change, then you can go get that YWG and pistol shrimp! They will be fine to add at the same time.

If you want to do things the right way you have to be a little more patient! I was the same way at first... But quickly learned that patience is a must. Be patient and you'l have an amazing tank in no time

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom