Nitrate drop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freakgecko91

Aquarium Advice Addict
K, so I just did a water test and my ammonia and nitrite are both at zero, but my nitrate is at zero as well...I did 2 50% water changes this week (one as my weekly PAC and one to get the water level low enough to catch some fish to trade in to reduce the bio load). Yes, my tank is cycled, and no, my nitrate level has not always been at zero. I also have not changed ANY of e filter media in either of my filters (one HOB and one canister)...any ideas on why my nitrates dropped!?

I'd say your nitrates aren't really 0. I can think of two reasons. First the nitrates are between 0 and the lowest reading on the test. Because of the two large water changes you've removed most of it and if you have live plants they will contribute a bit also. Secondly, the test wasn't done correctly. Make sure to follow the instructions exactly and wait the correct amount of time to read the test.

No live plants, but I'll try and test in the morning again, I just want to make sure here's nothing wrong, but I guess since my ammonia and nitrites are at 0, everything is probably just fine

No live plants, but I'll try and test in the morning again, I just want to make sure here's nothing wrong, but I guess since my ammonia and nitrites are at 0, everything is probably just fine
Nitrate tests in particular are very hard to distinguish between each other. I a week, tops, you'll see a nitrate rise. I guarantee it.

Back
Top Bottom